Wow! New Savage 22/410 over-under,,,

Huh...

I saw one of these at Wal-mart earlier today and thought to myself 'What in the world is that'"

Funny how things turn out. I like the look of it, black and red. I cannot fathom a use for it though, nor do I have the funds for a gun that I would sit on a shelf to 'look pretty'

I saw it at the NRA convention back in April. A lot more "utilitarian" looking than the 24. Interesting, but with a MSRP over $450, and not really having a definite use for it (like that's stopped me before!) I don't think it's on my short list.

I can't say that I really care for the model 42, maybe if I look at it long enough it might grow on me.

I have two Savage 24's, one is a 24J the other is a 24B and I prefer either one of them over the new gun.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

I had a couple of 24's a .22LR/20 and a .357 mag/20.

Problems with the 24s:
*The problem with the gun is that it's only one shot of either caliber/bore;
*It's generally heavier than a single-barreled rifle;
*Iron sights used to leave a lot to be desired, and scoping made the piece very heavy and unwieldy;
*Accuracy of the rifle was fair, at best;
*Choke was extra full;
*Cocking and selecting barrel wasn't conducive to quick game shots, especially on flushing grouse and woodcock.

If most the above concerns are nullified, it could be interesting, but not for the MSRP.

Note: If the new Savage can accept one, a mini-red dot sight would be really nice on that type of rifle/shotgun.

I like my old 24 22/410 more, of course. I would like the new gun if they would take the red graphics off and lower the price a bit. I think it's going to be a hard sell at that price.

I have a Springfield M6 Scout .22LR/.410 and I do see the utility, although .22 mag over 20 gauge would interest me more. On the other hand the new M24 is so ugly I can't see myself buying one.

Folks who would be interested in such a beast are going to be turned off by the Buck Rogers look, and the tacticool folks who like Buck Rogers guns are not going to spend cash on a .22/.410 woods gun.

I have a 24V in 30-30/20 gauge, love it. I'm trying to find one in .357 mag, wouldnt mind finding one of the pistol grip ones.

This new gun is ok, but I wouldn't buy it. A Savage bolt action .22 is less than $150. A New England shotgun is even cheaper. If I had a kid, I'd buy both.

Since I already have a .410 and a .22 its hard to justify the expense, but if I lacked either I'd be interested.

A friend had one of these guns in my youth, and it was as said earlier a nice woods walking gun, effective for small game and varmints and tin cans.

Back