Wow! New Savage 22/410 over-under,,,

aarondhgraham

This is not your grandfather's model 24,,,
It's a new gun they call the Model 42.

Click here please.

It's definitely a modern design and stylized gun.

I'm still trying to decide if I like it or not.

Whadda you good folk think?

Aarond

I've checked it out and like it. I would go with the .22 mag version. With the advancements in .410 technology due to the Judge revolver, it would be a good woods gun.

I had one when I was a kid,,,

But being a kid I had no idea what a fine firearm it was,,,
I wanted anything semi-auto like my friends had.

I have no need for a gun of this type,,,
But I am always on the lookout for a model 24.

This one is a bit too modern for my tastes,,,
But if I had a kid I would consider it.

Aarond

I don't much care for it, the model 24 is a much classier firearm than the new one. The styling might be good for getting a new shooter interested, but it's definitely not for me.

Stu

I
don't much care for it, the model 24 is a much classier firearm than the new one. The styling might be good for getting a new shooter interested, but it's definitely not for me.

Same here. i don't like Tupperware on a gun.

I'm still trying to decide if I like it or not.

Whadda you good folk think?

The poster below illustrates my feelings as well. Kind of like a polymer stock savage 99 - looks out of place and confused with its identity.

I don't much care for it, the model 24 is a much classier firearm than the new one. The styling might be good for getting a new shooter interested, but it's definitely not for me.

I would also say, when buying an older used 24, not only could you get a better deal most likely (many were made) but it also has some resale value down the road. This new one? Good luck....anyone who knows the old ones probably would not like it. JMHO

I think for a Truck , garden or boat gun it would suffice nicely ! I never liked the 24s with the hammer spur firing pins . This new one is like the old Stevens with the sliding striker with the button on the receiver .

I've never found the .410 appealing. I'd be more interested in a .22lr or .22wmr paired with a 28 or 20 gauge barrel. Even for a kid, I'd rather handload light 28/20 shells or buy Winlite ammo than give him a .410.

great old guns,keep the new one's

I have had a model 24 for at least 40 years .22/20ga it is a great walk in the woods gun.It has accounted for more rabbits,squrrels,pheasants and even a white tail doe not to mention crows,ground hogs and a turkey
Fine guns and makers of lots of memories I let my grandson carry it now when we go wandering in the woods and some day it will be his walnut and steel not plastic and tin
Elmo

It's starting to grow on me a bit,,,

The one thing that does give me pause,,,
Is that front sight/barrel spacer thing-a-ma-bob.

I would have to get one in my hands,,,
I would want to see that part up close before I bought one.

That part looks a bit flimsy to me,,,
I'm thinking the barrels could get tweaked easily.

Aarond

I handled one at a local Walmart two weeks ago. It nearly made me sick (aesthetics).:p The older gun is the gun for older guys, I guess. Plus the $367 price tag won't help it much for youth gun sales. Thumbs down. -7-

You saw one at Wally World?

I'll have to go to my local Wally World,,,
See if they have one in stock.

Thanks for the tip my friend.

Aarond

A .410 Brenneke slug will kill just about anything and I just love the .22 mag. Count me in, plastic don't bother me and I'm AARP material.

I've had two of them. A .22mag/410 and a .30-30/20ga. Had lots of problems with the 30-30/20. Shotgun bbl wouldn't fire 75% of the time. Sent it back to Savage and they fixed it and repaired the bluing (messed up from throwing on the ground while pheasant hunting.).

Sold them both. Not sure if I want another. Maybe, but not at that price.

Todays 410 3" loads are far more useful than most think ... but the soon to follow 20ga offering will have an even better variety of loads and choke tubes.

A .410 Brenneke slug will kill just about anything...
That's a rather bold statement. I suppose it's true enough, just like a person can say a .22 can kill anything (given excellent shot placement and enough time for the target to die).

But those slugs wouldn't even be legal for deer where I live. 1000 foot pounds of muzzle energy is the legal minimum (those slugs are listed as 781). Their range is very limited, making them marginal for coyote. What's left? Wood chucks, racoons, rabbits, squirrels, prairie dogs... Basically small game and varmints that can just as easily (and much more cheaply) be taken with a rimfire cartridge.

"That's a rather bold statement."

MCB Homis knows more than anyone on this subject. From his site:
"The Brenneks on the other hand were used to take a fairly large buck and all three slugs passed clear through the deer."
Article from his web site:
http://mcb-homis.com/deer9410/index.htm

Actual user review from Midway USA site not internet poseur

"Excellent slug, I bagged a 6-point buck at 10 yards. Slug didn't break apart, only slight deformation."

Last edited:
From the exact same article you linked...

"I would put the 410 slug near the bottom of the acceptable deer cartridges."

and

"the 410 is not an easy gun to shoot and hunt with in general because of its very short range."

So yes, it can work, but it's probably better in the hands of a very experienced hunter than a young kid (which is what this gun seems geared toward).

As for the Midway review, a LOT of choices will work at 10 yards. That doesn't mean it's a good deer cartridge.

I won't really argue that it won't kill. I'll just argue it's very limited in its use.

I see Brenneke has started making 28-gauge slugs that weigh more than twice as much as the .410 slug and have about twice as much energy at 40 yards. This seems more in the ballpark of a deer cartridge. Plus the 28's higher pellet counts and reputation for much better patterns with birdshot just make a 28-gauge option far more versatile (and still manageable for young shooters).

Last edited:
Back