Wow, my Beretta 21A Bobcat 22lr can be reliable

Elvishead

My little Bobcat has been a great range gun for warming up but, it liked to jam in more ways than one. You name it, it would do it about once every other mag.

I've been shooting many different brands and type of 22lr's through it with some working better, but not one brand, or type have not had some problems.

The CCIs have been pretty good, but still had jams but no misfires.

Well, last night I tried some Winchester 333pack, 36g plated HPs. I went through about 5 mags with no problems before I realized not one problem. Then 10 more mags, no problems. At 20 mags, I was just amazed. After the gun got fairly warm, I had one FTE and just barely hung up, and shortly after that a few mags later one misfire.

For this picky 22lr for me, that is awesome.

I've shot about 1500 rounds through it, the gun has been getting better but not perfect until now (Almost perfect, 1 in 200).

I'm just so happy, because I thought I'd never find something that would feed so well. I'd actually consider carrying it, or putting it in a drawer for a backup to replace the Browning 25. I just don't like that little Browings tiny grip. In fact, I'm going to put it next to the little 25.

Attachments

• Gun Beretta 22lr works 003.jpg
    Gun Beretta 22lr works 003.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 298
Mine is picky too. The round that works best for me is Remington Bucket'O'Bullets, only one or two misfeeds per 50. One thing I figgered out the last time I shot it, many if not most of the misfeeds were the top round off of a full mag (insert full mag, pop bbl open, insert round, close bbl, fire!, *misfeed*). If I rack the slide to load the chamber or just download one round in the mags, it never misfeeds on the first round fired. Using that method, most of the other brands of ammo are almost as reliable as the Remmies.

The recoil springs on these little guns are pretty dang stiff, but my malfunctions are never a failure to strip a round off of the mag (the slide *is* traveling to the full rearward position) but usually a nosedive & rarely the tip of a bullet will go too high to enter the chamber so I don't think that messing with spring tension would do any good (lightening it would probably cause the frame to get beaten to death). When mine was new & wouldn't feed CCI's I polished the ramp and it helped, but only marginally. There's not much that can be done by way of changing the ramp angle because it's very steep with no depth of field to work with- the only place to remove metal would be inside the chamber & that would lead to bulged casings. I think it comes down to the magazine feed lips. I'm surprised that someone hasn't figured out how to tweak them a tad & get the gun to run right.

The round that works best for me is Remington Bucket'O'Bullets, only one or two misfeeds per 50.

I never tried those before. I just been getting what ever Walmart has had. So I bought these 333 because that's all they had. They had about 20 box's too, but I thought I'd try a few out before investing in more. Boy, I wish I would have bought the 6 box limit because all they have been having are the Fed. 555s, but at least I have two box's for possible SD if ever needed, at least I'll know they have a 99.5% reliability rate.

My Bobcat is picky when it comes to ammo, I only shoot CCI MiniMags or Stingers. I have carried it before as a BUG and would not hesitate to carry it again if the need arises. Currently my BUG is a Keltec P3AT.

exprt9

My Bobcat is picky when it comes to ammo, I only shoot CCI MiniMags or Stingers. I have carried it before as a BUG and would not hesitate to carry it again if the need arises. Currently my BUG is a Keltec P3AT.

I only shoot CCI MiniMags or Stingers

I would love if the CCI's worked, because that would be my choice of SD round in my 21A. But I'd rather have 8 shot's of those 333's than 1 shot of the CCI's.

Magyar:

I'm happy for you. Never had such good fortune...I'd think on replacing your .25acp with the 21A...

Boy, if I ever needed any of those gun's, I'd be up a creek if you only knew of my fire power at hand, me and my two buddies.:D

TBS, the Bobcat is much better in my hands. At least I don't have to worry I'm going to shoot through my fingers.

Last edited:
My cosin has a Bobcat that used to be picky. After years of plinking and use you would not think it is the same gun he bought. Now never a hickup. He says it eats whatever you feed it. Although it shows the trail time in the truck, he has kept the guts clean as a wistle. I think that this and most guns produced in the past 20+yrs need to be "worn in" ! This is not to say that they are bad guns, but gun to gun hand tuneing is just not practical in modern industry.

Only going from my own experience of buying my new Bobcat 22 a while back.

I believe this is one of those guns that you have to put quite a few rounds through it before it starts to work like it's supposed to.

Being just a warm up gun, I have no problem putting 2K+ through it of the cheap 22lr's to break it in, it's already has paid for it self in expensive ammo I saved on.

I'm very glad I gave this gun a chance, but it doesn't mean I am going to recommend it for somebody looking for a tiny 22lr for SD, yet.

My experience, on advice, was to put at least 200 to 800 rounds through it before I could expect reliability. I have done it with two, and with CCI stingers, or even yellowjackets it is now reliable. I had to get 3 magazines, and it really hurt my thumbs.

I use my 21a for practice for my SEECAMP .For UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL.22LR is easier on the pocket book than 32. AMMO I keep the 21 loaded with stingers.:D

Last edited:
I once heard that the only thing a .25 was good for was to really make your adversary angry that you'd pull a gun on him. If you can put the muzzle in his ear, it would be an effective disabler, but getting that close isn't realistic. I also found out the hard way that if you use a right-hand 2-handed grip on a Browning .25, one where your left thumb is on top of your right thumb, when you fire it the slide will skin your left thumb pretty deep.

My 21A needs to be as clean as possible. I had a ration of FTL's and FTE's; I gave it to my cousin who's a gunsmith to fix. He cleaned it better than I had been and now it's good for a couple of clips at least.

Yeah, right. I said it was "what I had heard", which is a truth, it is what I heard. I have no direct knowledge on that issue; never said I did, never claimed that what I heard was a truth. Could be, though; but if you think it's a myth, write an essay on the anti-personnel effectiveness of .25's and thereby debunk what you call a myth. It ain't up to me, it's up to you.

I don't need to write an essay. Small calibers can be very deadly. This is a proven fact. To imply, on a gun forum, that they will just "make people mad" is irresponsible, at best. There are better choices for defense, but to imply that ANY gun will "just make someone mad" is ridiculous.
BTW- most folks can figure out that the slide on an auto comes back with considerable force. The left thumb should ALWAYS be kept down on the left side of the gun (for right handed shooters), regardless of what kind of handgun you are using. This is just basic training.

I had one for a year or so. Only fired 12 rounds through it.
b12.jpg

The gun was a bit heavy in the pocket of my shorts.

Carried in a High Noon pocket holster (for sale)

I never liked the idea that it could possibly fire if I dropped it
during the course of my activities.

My new Ruger LCR is almost as light, and has much more power.
LCR-Hogue2.jpg

I don't plan on dropping it soon, but feel much better 'bout
this light .38 than the Beretta.

Former 21A owner

Elvishead,

It's good to see that your 21A is coming around. I tried two of them over the years and never could get them to work. One was a beautiful stainless model that I wanted to work in the worst way. It was a well-crafted gun. It just didn't work.

Now, on the other hand. I also had a 950 Jetfire that I traded off. Dumb move on my part. That little .25 was very reliable. That was one of those "wish I had it back" guns.

Have a 950BS Jetfire in .25.

It's my go-to gun...I work in a place where carry is cause for termination, so I can't ever be made.

And the little guy does just fine for that role. It's very reliable, but prone to catching lint, so I clean very often...but a Q-tip and my Swiss Army knife break it down as far as necessary.

Bill: said:
I don't need to write an essay. Small calibers can be very deadly. This is a proven fact. To imply, on a gun forum, that they will just "make people mad" is irresponsible, at best. There are better choices for defense, but to imply that ANY gun will "just make someone mad" is ridiculous.
BTW- most folks can figure out that the slide on an auto comes back with considerable force. The left thumb should ALWAYS be kept down on the left side of the gun (for right handed shooters), regardless of what kind of handgun you are using. This is just basic training.

And that's the first ridiculous thing you've ever read on this forum? Where have you been, or did you just come on duty as a humorless autocrat self-appointed expert arbiter of forum content? I don't need to defend what I posted, if it gives you some heartburn, take a Tums or 2.

But I'll explain it anyway, because there might be a useful lesson here:
I know of a situation that happened years ago (1950's), wherein someone was shot at 5 times with a .25 at close range, 3 of the shots hit him but didn't succeed in stopping him from breaking the shooter's jaw with a softball bat. The antagonist was a lot larger than and unreasonably really upset with the person with the .25, which was pulled in the middle of a confrontation with the intent it should intimidate the antagonist from continuing his increasingly aggressive alcohol-fueled confrontation (it was between ball players at an industrial league softball game, before they made a rule of no alcohol BEFORE the game, and before all the industries left our city). But it didn't work- the antagonist saw the gun and his issue switched from what had instigated his tantrum (some issue on the diamond) to the threat of being shot. But the little gun didn't provide a serious enough instinctual "flight" reaction which was the shooter's intent, and instead triggered a "fight" one with increased rage (the conclusion made later by the LEO who investigated what happened). He raised the bat he was holding and began to swing it at the shooter, the .25 fired 3 times before the shooter got clobbered and fell. The gun went off twice more, pointed off target as the shooter tumbled over; the other ball players hit the dirt in a jiffy- most were WW2 vets and knew what to do when they heard shots. The hitter was tackled by others before he could proceed with his bat, the gun fell in the dirt, and the situation ended. The antagonist had 3 relatively minor gunshot wounds, the shooter had a broken jaw and 3 busted teeth. So leaving the gun out of it probably would have been a good idea in the first place, and maybe a heavier caliber and a larger framed gun might be a better choice for SD in such a situation, which is the sort of stuff you'd read on a gun forum and a conclusion one might make from what I quoted. If you have a sense of humor, that is. I was just a kid (8 years old), I wasn't there, didn't know the guys involved, and heard the story from a couple of ball players that were there and from the LEO who my dad knew who responded, talking with my father. Among other conclusions and lessons was what the detective had to say- "the only thing a .25 was good for was to really make your adversary angry that you'd pull a gun on him. If you can put the muzzle in his ear, it would be an effective disabler, but getting that close isn't realistic." ... or words to that effect, which pretty accurately summarize that incident. My dad had a snubby .38 he got, on such advice.

So maybe it isn't irresponsible to infer that small calibers aren't as effective as bigger ones in SD situations- what a surprise- and that just pocketing a small caliber little gun without some consideration as to its effectiveness in what its purpose is (intimidating someone intent on doing one harm and maybe shooting them effectively enough to stop them from their intent) is imprudent.

And I cut my thumb with the slide on a .25 when I was 9 years old- my dad had a friend who carried one everywhere; he let me shoot it once when we were plinking at beer cans at my grandfather's hunting cabin on a summer vacation there. I had never shot a handgun before, and held it as tightly as I could with both hands. My dad's friend wasn't sharp enough to notice; he was pretty inept at a lot of stuff with guns, and shouldn't have been trusted with "training" a newbie. We learned that then; I still have the scars on my thumb as tuition.

Back