Wow. After 28 years?

Sevens said:
Holy moly! Mine is the TWENTIETH post in the thread and NOBODY has asked about the gun specifically?! Are we still on TFL Forums or is this some alternate reality?!
Ha, you're completely right! I hadn't even noticed! Now I feel like a second-rate gun enthusiast... ;)

A Remington O/U derringer. Not much of a gun but it was my grandfather's who carried it on daily mail route as a postman in the 1930s-1940s.

In 202 the LAPD made me pick up a rifle in person (another one from the same burglary). Their policy was that gun owners must retrieve stolen guns in person. They would not arrange shipping to me in Arkansas (I left CA in 1992).

Since this is not a transfer or change of ownership no NICS or waiting period is required.

I have figured out the notice didn't come from police, but from a stolen gun registry I joined a couple years ago. Not sure exactly what is happening and they haven't responded to emails.

Man, that's pretty cool, that you have a chance to get back a family heirloom and not just some old blaster.

We should open a thread on guns that have been stolen AND recovered.

In 2005 I recovered a Ruger Security-Six that was reported stolen in 1990. Not as spectacular, but the owner was happy to get it back. The guy (cousin to the original owner) who had stolen it had died a few months before from cancer and his ex-wife was stuck with going through all his stuff. She liked him, but did not want to be bothered with liquidating all the guns. She turned over to us his entire gun collection.

Tried to convince her to sale them to a dealer, but she wouldn't do that. Signed them over to us. I was tasked with running all the guns and discovered the stolen Ruger. A dealer bought the rest of the guns and we used the money to do some badly needed repairs on our range.

Anyway fifteen years for that one. It happens.

I had a revolver, belt, holster, and 25 rounds of ammo stolen out of my car in East Helena, Montana in the early 80's. It was recovered when someone tried to sell it to a pawn shop in Denver a few weeks later, and was shipped from the recovering LE agency in Denver to the local municipal PD where I picked it up. I had to pay something like five bucks for postage or shipping, but no other hoops or red tape. The ammo is the only thing that I didn't get back.

Of course, we're talking thirty years ago too...

Last edited:
OK, turns out the serial was registered with an outfit that tracks stolen guns. Not a police agency. Someone searched their database for that gun so I was notified. Unfortunately I have no idea who did the search. My guess is someone was offered the gun and he did a search and it came back as stolen. He probably declined to buy at that point so now whoever has the gun knows it's stolen property. He'll be sure to sell to someone who won't know to run the serial next time.

I did have a long talk with an officer at the FPD and learned the serials are still in the computerized database so if any are ever transferred to or through a dealer they will get a notice on it. You'd think that after 29 years one of the 20 guns still missing would have been sold through a dealer? Especially in CA where private transfers have been illegal for many years. Either the guns are moving in gang circles (a rifle recovered by LAPD in 2002 was taken from a drug dealer) or they are staying with whoever has them or they are not being transferred through dealers as state law mandates.

Back