Would you REALLY buy one

poprivit

Inactive
If you could really own a Class III full-auto .45 cal submachine gun for under $6k, would you belly up to the bar?

I'm going to Africa on safari next year and have to sell some of my guns. I've got a Stemple 76/45 with a can that I will be advertising sometime after New Years. It's very similar to a S&W 76, but in .45ACP.

Now, that said, would this tempt you to buy?

I sold all my MGs several years ago and won't be buying any more, but assuming that gun is transferrable, I don't think you will have any problem at all selling it at that price!

Jim

I'll sell it

JamesK - It's on a Form 4 in Nevada. It'll sell easily. I was just curious if the people who talk about owning one "just if ..." would actually buy one. Sure, it burns ammo; yes, it's expensive; man, there's a lot of paperwork ..

Reality - after owning everything from a Browning 1919A4 belt fed to a MAC11 .380, I'd do it all over again.

Last edited:
Taking into consideration that an out of state buyer is going to have $800 in transfer tax to buy the gun I would say you are about $1000 too high.

An out of state buyer can have the gun transferred to the FFL/SOT of his choice in his state. Then he has one transfer tax from the FFL/SOT to him. Only $200 in transfer fees. I'm in the process of doing one like that right now.

And yes folks will buy it. Machine guns are still selling pretty well, although prices dropped a couple of years ago but they are coming back up now.

No. Machine-guns are amusing and fun to shoot. I'm thrilled I bought my MAC-10 in 9mm a few years ago and will probably never get rid of it.

But shooting a .45ACP machine-gun gets very pricey rather quickly. Unless you're selling a .45ACP machine-gun that has some special meaning (like a Thompson or a Grease Gun) I doubt people will eagerly jump for a .45ACP version of a gun they can get in 9mm.

You'll be able to sell it, but I doubt you're going to get what you're looking to ask for it as it'll be a niche purchaser as opposed to your general shooter who just wants a bullet hose to put a smile on their face.

Absolutely not.
There is no reason in the world for a civilian to own a fully automatic weapon. These are for military and police use only. I think they should be fully banned for private ownership.
Now that I have your undivided attention, of course I'd take it? Who wouldn't? More fun than anything else you can do with your clothes on.

Stemple

Willie L - ah, but it does come with extras. Got a spare barrel with a Stemple can on it. Four position AR-type stock, spare short barrel, two recoil springs. C-More red dot sight. Plus, it uses unmodified Grease Gun mags. The grins it brings when shot are free.

Attachments

• DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 94
Well, in that case someone will be getting quite a deal. Sadly this is the wrong time of year for me to consider buying machine guns.

In this case the gun is owned individual, not dealer, so two taxes $400 are paid for the silencer and machinegun, to the buyer's dealer, then 2 more taxes $400 are paid for the transfer of the silencer and machinegun to the buyer from the buyers dealer.

$800 total

Transfer tax

There is no transfer tax from a private individual to a dealer.

The dealer then will transfer the MG and the suppressor to the new buyer with two tax stamps. The suppressor as one; the gun as the other. if the suppressor was welded to the barrel and the barrel not removable, as in my Savage with an Outback on it, there would be only one tax stamp needed.

BTW; If you sell a Class III weapon, the tax stamp has a collector's value of $50. I've sold a number of old ones to people.

Poprivit you are incorrect

Poprivit you are incorrect, this is an opportunity for you to listen and learn and understand.

Anytime a privatly owned NFA firearm is transferred to another individual or a NFA SOT paying dealer a tax is due. Dealer to Dealer transfer is on a form 3 tax free but individual to dealer is tax paid form 4.

Form 5 tax free transfers go tax free to govment agencies and the BATFE will process tax free form 5 transfers to heirs in an estate situation.

Yankee Doodle said:
There is no reason in the world for a civilian to own a fully automatic weapon.

If one understands the purpose of the second amendment, then yes, a non felon citizen has the right to any weapon likely to be used against him by tyrannical govt. Right now, that includes among other things, fully automatic weapons.

Back