Would you ever trust an "uncommon" platform as a ccw/duty gun?

^^^ thanks for sharing that.

My M&P 9 hasn't skipped a beat either. I find it impressive too that new shooters weren't inducing their own malfunctions. You know, the user error ones.

I think you should seek out an M&P now that you mention it. :D

I don't see why not. I've carried a Makarov, and a CZ-82 both in the past as well as a Smith & Wesson Model 39-2. I carried an old Charter Arms Undercover 38 for a while. I suppose that was "uncommon" these days, as is the aluminum frame Smith & Wesson Model 12-2, I carry now.

I have no problem carrying on uncommon gun if it is reliable. Reliability and lightweight for my carry guns. The reliability part is self-explanatory. The weight issue (strictly speaking for myself) is because I find a heavy gun annoying to carry all day long (regardless of holster/belt type) and will be left at home.

Also, I won't carry a family heirloom or super expensive firearm because (God forbid) it may have to be used in a SD scenario. I don't want to have it taken into evidence, get all screwed up and possibly never returned to me.

I prefer (and suggest) people carry a firearm that is easily replaceable in such an event. If you lost a high end 1911 because some piece of street trash tried to rob you, it would take a lot longer to replace it than a Glock or something.

Depends upon what kind of "duty" I'm expecting the gun to perform. I usually carry a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan or a S&W .460 when I am in Montana or Idaho back county.

When I'm in southern NM or AZ I take an AR15 with 4 magazines and an FN SLP in my truck along with two .45 1911's and 8 extra magazines.

Daily, I carry a .45 1911 or a 9mm HK P30.

I haven't found a manufacturer yet with CS good enough they will get me a part mid shooting. As such, parts availability doesn't enter into the decision.

I used to carry a Sauer 38H that was 100% dependable.Now for light clothes carry i use a Radom P64.Have changed the springs and feed it some Cor-bon loads that i have,and have never had a bobble with it.

I carry a Glock, but for me to carry an "uncommon" gun, there are several criteria that would have to be met:

1) Is it reliable?
2) Can I get ammo (both defensive and target) reliably? (I know...if I went by this criteria right now, my G19 wouldn't meet this)
3) Can I get a holster easily?

Although not a deal breaker, I'd also take into consideration how easy/available spare parts are, especially parts that need to be replaced every so often (recoil springs, etc).

Having said that, I prefer a common platform. If I came across something that met all those requirements, I'd probably still stick to what I carry today.

I haven't found a manufacturer yet with CS good enough they will get me a part mid shooting. As such, parts availability doesn't enter into the decision.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying the only time you use your firearm is in an actual gunfight?

I carry a fairly uncommon gun on duty daily, a Sarsilmaz K2-45. With 14+1 of .45 acp on tap, ergonomics to die for and it has never hiccuped in approximately 1000 rds, I really need to keep better track of that stuff, I have no issue carrying it about.

Now off duty I go for a little lighter weight, and I sport an FNH FNP9. Love the thing, and will carry it on duty randomly, when I can load it to capacity with 9mm, lol. I love it so much I am bidding on it's bigger brother, an FNX 45 to put in my duty holster, and shave a little weight of my daily rig.

So, come to think of it, I do indeed carry something uncommon both on duty and off! And wouldn't change it for a thing!

I'd probably trust a CZ-52 or a Luger after testing to make sure it's working. Something like a pinfire revolver? Not sure about that one. I think it depends on the exact platform. An EAA witness is not all that weird.

Back