Would you ever trust an "uncommon" platform as a ccw/duty gun?

Pops1085

I'm just a little curious as to what you folks think, I just picked up a gun that's a little uncommon and I'm wondering if you guys would consider a gun that's not a large brand name for a duty gun.

Well me personally I just picked up an eaa witness in 9mm and was just noting that it isn't exactly a glock for parts availability.

My criteria for a carry gun....is 100% reliability / and it should be the gun in my safe that I shoot the best...(not capacity, weight, etc...).

If the EAA fits that bill for you ...why not ??
( my primary carry gun is a Wilson Combat, CQB model, 5", in .45acp )....that isn't "conventional" among glock guys either....but I don't care, it fits my 2 criteria !

Everybody should shoot and carry whatever they want ...and what's best for them.

I'm just a little curious as to what you folks think, I just picked up a gun that's a little uncommon and I'm wondering if you guys would consider a gun that's not a large brand name for a duty gun.

What is it, can you get ammo for it, does it work, can you hit a target with it? What was the question again?

Duty weapons, brands...

Author, gun writer, sworn LE officer & legal expert on use of force; Massad Ayoob has a few articles on this topic in gun magazines like American Handgunner & Guns and Weapons For Law Enforcement.
Ayoob & a few other tactics instructors/LE experts suggest using a well known brand with a documented, proven track record.
In a critical incident, you or if required, a atty could explain how or why you selected a certain model/caliber.
By honestly saying you picked a firearm model because it was reviewed or T&Eed by a major sworn LE agency carrys more weight than saying you were cheap or "didn't care" about what firearms you used.
Most major brands like S&W, Beretta, Walther, SIG Sauer have value lines or pistols with less features but still have certain quality standards.
I bought a new in box, un-issued GPNY .38spl revolver in 2006 & used it on duty, expressly because it was a DA only revolver that was produced under contract for the NYPD in the early 1990s.

CF

By honestly saying you picked a firearm model because it was reviewed or T&Eed by a major sworn LE agency carrys more weight than saying you were cheap or "didn't care" about what firearms you used.
...which validates my decision to carry a S&W K-Frame revolver most of the time.

...which is actually an "uncommon" duty gun these days :rolleyes:

I guess I'd trust my East German Makarov.

Uncommon in USA as a CCW but it's a good one.

Same for my 1935 and 1934 Beretta .32 and .380.

And if Buffalo Bore does make a .38 S&W load I have a cool British Webley pocket model that would work to.

But for now my subcompact Glocks and J .38s do fine.

Deaf

I wouldn't use a firearm I couldn't easily obtain parts for and replace myself. Aside from that, I don't know what "uncommon" refers to in the original post. At the moment, it's "uncommon" to see a law enforcement officer packing a revolver on his belt, particularly if it's a single action. Doesn't make it a bad choice, just means that LEO's on the whole have moved on to semi-autos (for reasons both good and bad).

I have a friend that goes to work in a bad part of town at 3am....he pulls up within 20' of the door to his office and get out with a .44 mag colt anaconda with a 8" barrel in his hand. Man can he shoot it too.....he hits the X

I would trust any firearm no matter how uncommon if it has proven reliable for me. If it was an incredibly uncommon gun I might not want to carry it so I don't wear it out but as long as it goes through 4-500 rounds reliably I would carry it.

Thats the joy of having multiple guns I can (and do) carry. I have a CZ-75, Beretta PX4, FEG Pa63, and Beretta Tomcat that all get carried either as a primary or back up weapon. I'll be adding a Bulgarian Makarov to the mix once I get it fixed (and the part came in yesterday, so hopefully that will be soon). I work with all my guns, and shoot them all accurately enough to feel comfortable with them. Most of them (exept I guess the Berettas) are what most would call "uncommon," but that doesn't mean unreliable or obsolete by any means.

My experience with carrying is rather limited, and I prefer small pocket guns in anything like a .380 or 9mm. I love big full sized guns, but they are impractical for my style of dress and small frame. I'm not into those small guns, but they would be a necessary caveat if I were to daily CCW.

I wouldn't worry too much about parts availability. EAA still makes those guns and I see them around for good deals all the time. They are an attractive alternative to many fans of the CZ-75.

admit I live a pretty low risk lifestyle... I'm a bit unconventional, & a firearms collector, with some unconventional guns...

I actually re-range qualified for my permit to carry this last time, with an antique single action, spur trigger top break snubbie in 38 S&W, & outshot most everyone in the class... instructor said it was the 1st time anyone had ever used an antique for range qualifying...

that said, I think you need to look at your realistic risks... if I lived in the big city, I might carry my 10mm daily, but for visits to the big city, I feel confident with one of my big bore snubbies, & a reload

I'm not a fan of those uncommon guns for CCW.

I see it as, you need to practice the most with your CCW/Duty gun right?

Parts wear out like in a car. In those uncommon guns come uncommon parts. Which usually if and when you actually do find them. They're a little on the pricey side anyways.

Why the unnecessary headache when we have so many modern choices that make life easier today? Only you uncommon gun carrying guys can say. I'm sure they're good reasons to you as well and I respect that. I'll stick to my guns that are easy to find parts for and modernized. :)

SIG, Glock, M&P...

In all fairness... our local PD uses M&P's, & they have what they call "citizens academy" where they teach citizens what the PD does, part of the class the students get to shoot one of the officers guns... most of these people, have never fired a gun before...

I'm honestly impressed, that in aprox. 100 people, since I started keeping track, I've never seen a miss fire... with new shooters, there are so many things that can go wrong, limp wristing, etc. so, to me, that's pretty impressive

If I were wanting a modern carry gun, I'd have to give the M&P a look... perhaps even in 40 S&W, since that ammo never seemed to totally dry up around here...

Back