Would you consider these primers flattened?

you did not indicate which primer you're using.

Winchester (WSP).

HP-38 and W231 are the same powder, just different lots of the same powder.

Several years ago, I was at my LGS, and they had both HP-38 and W231. Interestingly enough, they had the exact same lot numbers.

What may mean something is you're using .3 gns above the plus p load listed by the manufacturer of the powder,

I didn't look at Hodgdon's data. I looked at Hornady and Sierra. Hornady maxes at 5.7 grains (I'm at 5.6), and shows a velocity of 950 (I'm at 978) through a Model 15, 4" bbl. Sierra shows 5.8 grains at 1000 f/s, 6" bbl.

. . . it would seem to indicate being slightly above max pressure.

I think so too.

There are likely slightly slower powders to get the same velocity at less pressure. One being unique.

Yes, I know. I appreciate the suggestion. But I wasn't chasing a velocity. I was doing a quickie work up using HP-38. I primarily wanted to get max performance from this propellant, and the resulting velocity was secondary. My go-to for max velocity is Power Pistol ;). I've retired Unique.

On a side side note , I’m worried my pistol god is asking questions I think I know the answers to lol

Heh, thanks Metal god :). I know, this seems to be a rather novice post for one who has been loading for 38 years (okay, two weeks short of 38 years). But I am rusty. I took a 16-month hiatus from shooting/loading to get moved to Idaho. I've gotten humble in my old age (or at least less arrogant :p). Something just didn't feel right and so I thought it would be prudent to just get some others to take a look and give their opinions.

And I do appreciate the responses. Thank you everybody.

Something else to add here (and something I didn't think of until after my original post): This 1# cannister of HP-38 I'm using has a lot number that suggests a manufacture date of 12/12/14. I purchased it on 1/13/15. I first opened it on 8/17/18. It's about half full. I suspect that it as lost some moisture; and hence, some density. I'm setting the charge by weight. Perhaps I'm actually throwing more powder than if it was new? The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

Nick C S -Sierra's new edition IV has a section specifically for plus p 38 special using wsp primers, starline cases and 5.63 in universal barrel (receiver?). Apparently, they updated a bunch of their loadings, now using pressure testing equipment. This is the latest pressure tested data am aware of.

Even their regular max 38 special loads for their 125 gn jsp and jhp, use 6.2 grains Win 231 for 1100 fps (like other manuals likely rounded off)

Like you stated, it is really good to use multiple manuals, but some data in the newer manuals may be a lot older than the manual date.

If the gun is a 38 Special, I would reduce the powder charge a little.

I am going to. For brevity, I didn't mention that I also tested rounds at 5.2 and 5.4 grains. I'm probably going to settle on 5.2 grains.

When I open another canister of HP-38 (I have another - purchased at the same time (Jan '15), I'll re-test.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. That was exactly what I was looking for. As usual, everybody pulled through.

Back