Would you buy a .380?

• Thread starter Thread starter AmericanFreeBird
  • Start date Start date
Buy one??

Sure I would, and I did. Colt Mustang Pocketlite. 12.5 ounces and loaded with Glasers alternating with Hydra-Shoks. Perfect for summer carry in my hip pouch. Or my fine, black M/D Enterprises BS-2. Nobody has ever spotted it yet. (Even under just a T-shirt.)
Sorry Mark, I know that you make other holsters too, you know I own one. However the BS-2 is THE THING for summer carry. :)

Kentucky Rifle

Yes I would, and yes I did. Colt pony pocketlite .380. Hey Kentucky Rifle, what's the BS-2? Is it a belly band? I carry in a pocket holster now with jeans and it's very comfortable. I forget it's there.

Of course the point was made that more can be had for the same price as the colt pony/mustangs are going for now. When I was looking it was for concealability and no other firearm I saw was as small as the colt pony/mustang without going below a .380 (That's not to say they don't exist, just not at the gun shops I went to).

Beretta Model 94 (Cheetah) or Mak

If you want a .380, you can't go wrong with a Beretta Model 94 - Cheetah. They are well made, accurate, reliable and easy to conceal, but expensive (around $450). On the other hand, the Makarov is probably a better choice as the 9MM Mak (9x18) caliber is a bit more powerful and the Mak is about the same size, maybe even thinner. Maks are also a LOT cheaper and just as reliable and accurate. Great deals on Bulgarians right now. You can get them for $100 - $150.

Pilot

The .380 ACP is obsolete. Will I be flamed for saying this? I don't think so. It's not a controversial statement. Buy a small 9mm.

I like my Hungarian SMC-380 . . .

In fact, I've been using it as one of my house guns for a few weeks now, leaving my Glock 33 in the safe. It's fun to shoot, it was cheap, and the only feed problem it's ever had (at abt. round #475) was entirely my fault.

If you want one, get one. At realistic pistol distances (10 yds)I can hit a 2" circle offhand every time. (Low power aside, I feel pretty secure that a .380 shot into the eye at 10 feet would stop anyone.) Hides nice in a DeSantis pocket holster. Whatever does the job for you.

If your reason for buying a .380 is STRICTLY a carry issue, then I vote Kahr P9. They are roughly the same size as the PPK, but lighter, and 7+1 of 9mm+p makes ME feel better than the .380 (NO, I don't want you to shoot me with your .380 :D) I had a Walther PPK/S for a while, and I'll admit, they ARE PRETTY!!! So are the Sigs. The other suggestions, like the Colts, are good ideas, again, IF your issue is carry, because you can REALLY conceal those babies.

Check 'em ALL out... if you decide you'd rather carry in the pocket, then it's the Colt Pony or Pocketlite... if you're gonna carry IWB or similar, then step up to the 9mm, or even .40 (Kahr P40), and get one of the .380's to backup your backup :D

I'd think about buying a Bulgarian Makarov (should be way less than 200 bucks in like-new, unissued condition) and then spending another hundred bucks on 1,000 rounds of ammo (green box, Nobosibirsk) and you can get in a lot of practice for not a lot of bucks. You'd be amazed at how well you can shoot a Mak after you put, say, 500 hundred rounds downrange. Even with its stiff double-action first shot you can do pretty well. Follow-up single-action shots are nifty.

check out

http://www.makarov.com

for more info.

Good luck with whatever route you pick.

Owen

Would I buy a .380?

No. There are plenty of 9mm sub-compacts out there that are small enough for CCW. 9mm ammo is cheaper than .380 and is better for defense, IMO. Recoil of some .380s is even harder than a 9mm due to the size and type of action! I'd recommend a Kel-Tec P11 or Kahr instead, but the choice is entirely up to you.

The BS-2 is a belt slide holster from M/D Enterprises. It is THE OWB holster for a G27, Kahr MK series, or S&W J-frame. I have them for the small frame Glock and S&W N-frame and I plan on getting another one for the 9mm Browning HP and may get one for the SIG P220 and P229 as well.
http://www.customholsters.com

As far as Colt stopping production of their .380 guns due to a lawsuit from Kahr, that simply has to be an urban legend. Colt was producing their .380's before Kahr existed, it's hard to see how they'd be treading on any of Kahr's patents!

A great 380

If your dead set on getting a 380
do yourself a favor and check out
the Browning BDA-380 They are made in Italy by Beretta But have the Browning name.Hate to say it but I do recommend the Kahr K-9 and the
Mk-9 both are fine weapons.But a lttle pricey.

Nothing wrong with .380. It'll do the job. The best loads are 70% one-shot-stops according to Marshall & Sanow.

Advantages over 9mm: lower recoil, less muzzle flip. Quicker back on target for multiple shots.

There's a lot of good ones and a .380 is almost as good as a 9mm, I think (as most manmade holes are bad), but if I had to identify one winner it'd be the Kahr P9.

IMHO, the 380 was a great backup piece before the compact 9x19mm's, 40S&W's, and 45ACP's. One issue is getting ammo. I know that a lot of people still shoot 380, but it isn't like that everywhere. The FFL that I frequent most doesn't have a single box of 380 on hand. If you plan on doing any traveling with this gun, be prepared. If you are using it mostly around the house, stock up.

Back