Worst value in semi-auto handguns?

OOPS! Sorry

Staff was me. I forgot to log out when I posted.

In addition, some maybe saying I'm defending the bucks I spent. If that's the case, I'll be here all night "splaining" the bolt guns, Sharps, O/U shotguns, etc. On the other hand, I have a Wilson that is ultra reliable... with fmj only. It won't feed wadcutters even though the bullets used on gun test target were wadcutters... go figure. To me, that gun is a horrible value.

Ditto for HK USPs

When polymer first came out it was touted as not only lighweight and strong but cheaper to build as well. HK is not passing on the savings but instead selling its good name for a pistol that should be priced similar to Glock.
Arguably, the USP is no better or worse than the Glock.

They could have a strong rabid fan base like Glock but they're taking the short term profit. Glock Inc. understands that by producing a great product at "reasonable" prices they will gain the most important thing of all in the gun business Customer Loyalty. Guns is not a growth industry.

Just go to GlockTalk. These people aren't crazy and they aren't on dope. But getting into Glocks is like an addiction to them and prices seem within reach. Many of them would like to collect them all and are serious about it.

HK could have the same thing but they chose not to.

[Edited by Ian11 on 02-24-2001 at 01:46 AM]

Well, to the chagrin of others I must chime in my usual mantra against Para Ordnance. The fact that they started out as a company by making high cap magazines and later made 1911 makes me cringe at the fact that the 3 magazines I received from them (all NIB) were unreliable was a testament to the later troubles I experienced with the pistol.

Hmm... maybe this isn't ment to be a rant thread, but I rest my case.

For the record, I have heard of happy Para owners, so they aren't all bad and count me in on one of the loonies that think HKs are the greatest... ;)

lendringser & Ian...

I agree about the HK's. They can get such astounding prices because they are "cool." Definately the worst value, and so are custom 1911's IMO. But like Shin-Tao said, I don't compete.

Ben

HK USP is absolutely the worst value, pistol itself
is worth probably no more than $300 in comparison with other brand name pistols, and the rest of the current price goes to cover the cost of two letters - "HK". I'm not saying it's bad, it's just exceptionally overpriced, means
it's valued wrong. Expensive variants of 1911 at least have some extra labor involved in making them accurate/functional/customized/etc...

I must VERY reluctantly agree on the USP. My USP in particular has been a good value, but as someone said about S&W autos, that's really only because I bought it used. If I'd paid full price for this gun as it comes new, I'd be disappointed by now. At first it seemed really wonderful, but at about the same price as my SIG 220 (also used, to be fair) it is not an equal pistol. Accuracy and ergonomics are simply not comparable.

However, always remember that guns are subjective values. To someone who put great stock in higher capacity, a manual 1911-style safety and the ability to shoot fierce handloads or even low-end .45 Super loads out of the box, the USP would be far superior to the 220 while still providing good accuracy. (there's a lot of room between "good" accuracy and SIG 220 accuracy, from what I've seen.) :)

(Edited to reflect the fact that "payed" is not a word!)

[Edited by Don Gwinn on 02-24-2001 at 09:55 PM]

Ding,

Re: the Mk23 "Crew-Served Handgun", you said
Extremely high accuracy, high capacity, mild recoil, high reliablility.

These are its alleged benefits vis-a-vis the USP and Glock 21. Sorry, I've shot all three extensively, and the $1300 difference just ain't there.

Accuracy: Yes, marginally better, but for $1000-per-inch of group size, I'll pass.

Capacity: They're all ten-rounders for civvies, but you can get 13-rounders for the Glock (albeit at exorbitant prices).

Mild Recoil: No real difference in recoil between any of these Gorgo-the-Smog-Monster sized .45's.

High Reliability: When any one of these three pistols jams on me with jacketed factory ammo, I'll be sure to let you know. ;)

Again, IMHO, those are the reasons that the price tag on the Mk23 makes sense only if you want braggin' rights for owning the "magic SOCOM gun" or just have to complete your HK collection.

JMHO, YMMV, some settling of contents may occur during shipment.

The Taurus semi autos suck. The saying "You get what you pay for." is very true. On the other had, I think their revolvers are an excellent value.

Back