Worst value in semi-auto handguns?

Canine

My vote goes to the S&W autoloaders. I cannot see paying that much money for such a mediocre product.

What do y'all think (what is the worst value)?

Glocks, but that is based on the fact that while they may be great for some people, they just don't work well for me.

The SIG P210-8. Sorry, but at over $4000 for a production gun you are out of your mind. Not saying it is a bad gun, far from it, but it isn't worth $4000. The Pathfinder from Cylinder & Slide, sorry Bill, falls into this over $4000 category as well, but at least you are getting a true custom pistol in the process. I put over $2000 Les Baer guns, sorry ArmySon, but why spend the money on a Baer when you can get at least as good a gun for less from Rock River Arms.

Any 1911 over $1200. But then again, I don't compete in anything.

Any gun over $300 that isn't stone-cold reliable.

I gotta go with...

...the HK Mark 23. Other than its rarity/collector potential, 'splain to me again how "The Crew-Served Handgun" is $1300 better than a USP or G21?

...the HK Mark 23. Other than its rarity/collector potential, 'splain to me again how "The Crew-Served Handgun" is $1300 better than a USP or G21?
Extremely high accuracy, high capacity, mild recoil, high reliablility.

Ding,

Because of its ungainly size it sounds more like a good target pistol to me.

Could be a good movie pistol but I'm afraid the Desert Eagle has more movie star quality.

Normally, you get what you pay for in handguns. There are several exceptions. I'd have to vote for the Sig series. While excellent guns, they are excellent guns in the Glock sense, not the price normally demanded of Sigs.

I agree gnerally about S&W's but I got my 4516 practically new for a song. Don't buy new and you're fine. I disagree about the 'mediocre' comment about S&W autos. I think they are just fine.

I like H&K hardware, but I think that the USP series is vastly overpriced. I think there is no reason for the USP not to be in the same price category as the Glock, SigPro, Sigma and other comparable polymer wonders. $600-plus for a polymer-framed gun is lunacy...the whole point to the USP was to provide an inexpensive competitor to Glocks. They're good guns, but they're not worth the 30% premium they seem to command everywhere.

[Edited by lendringser on 02-23-2001 at 10:28 PM]

I guess that value is relative.

I have a Wilson and a Baer 1911, as well as a GSP2000 by Gunsite, and these are the BEST handguns that I own or have ever shot. They were worth every penny. Some may say that I am merely defending/justifying my purchases, but far from it, I am already looking for my next custom 1911. I would like to get a Mk 23 as well, but feel the money is better spent on a another 1911 :}

I own guns at every price point, my least expensive being a Dan Wesson revolver I got about 7 years ago. I love them all regardless of cost.

I would have to say the worst value IMO are the Airweight S&W revolvers. Some of the titanium models carry stickers close to $700, when I can buy 100% model 640s for $300. Are 2-3ozs. worth $400? For me, no.

Without a doubt

S&W Sigma series. Very comfortable, but simply the worst trigger on the market. Does anyone here know of one that is worse?

I agree with previous posts. Glocks, they're just not for me. I shot a G17 and G19 today. Thank god for my Sig P239.

Generally, AMT products.

I've encountered 1 in the past 20 years that was actually fully functional.

The rest varied from "annoying little glitches" to "won't fire an entire magazine without a malfunction" to "this thing is a waste of steel."

By far most have been in the latter two categories.

How AMT can make such a crappy product, and continue to charge the prices they do, is beyond me.

This is another "bang vs. buck" issue, meaning too much buck for the bang. I'd reluctantly say the 1911 customs guns. Desert Eagles would be a close second. Having had experience with many 1911's for some time I just can see that paying $1000 plus get's you $400 more gun, unless you just have to get 1" groups at 50 yards. All the 1911 pattern guns I've ever shot have been very accurate and 100% reliable staight out of the box. But then again I use only FMJ's. At some price you reach a point of diminishing returns. I find that to be right around the $600 mark. After that it's all gravy and it's expensive gravy at that.

Warm Bore

PS: I'd vote the bottom end Kimber 1911's and Glock 30 as currently having the most bang for the buck. In second place would be the Daly FS 1911's and CZ-97. Can't go wrong with any of the 4 really.

Smith autos, for sure...and also Taurus products. I keep tryin' them, and they keep disappointing me, no matter how many trips to the factory they make. After 4, I've finally learned my lesson. The only one that didn't give trouble was the Casull, but I didn't shoot it enough to really figgure out whether it was going to stay good. (couple thousand rounds).

OOPS! you said semi-autos...nevermind about the Taurus revos then.

[Edited by Steve Smith on 02-24-2001 at 02:03 AM]

Jeff,
Why do you guys toot RRA so much? If you compare the guns and specs, RRA is not much cheaper then Les Baer. On the models that appear a lot cheaper, they are missing expensive work i.e. checkering. Match up the standard match OR national match hardball with the standard Baer Premier II. Add in the checkering and you'll see that you're not saving a whole bunch with an RRA. This can be applied to all their higher end guns that are comparable to the Baer guns. You're not saving a whole lot.

As for as "just as good", I would have to strongly disagree. There hasn't been one single RRA pistol over at 1911forum.com that was received in "perfect" condition. They all had some minor problems or cosmetic flaws. You guys can take the $50-75 you're saving and buy all the RRA's you wish :) At least my Baers run and look perfect from the get go.

I'm sorry but there's no way in hell a two man shop can manufacture frames, slides, complete AR-15's, and 1911's without having some problems. Wilson and Baer tried to cut corners that way and it did not work out. RRA will soon find out too (if they haven't already).

Anyway, my pic for the worst value semi-auto would be any high-end 1911 if you don't shoot it. Any low-end 1911 if you don't shoot it. Any mid-level Glocks if you don't shoot it. Any gold plated Desert Eagles if you don't shoot it :)

If you spend the money on a gun and do not shoot it enough, then yes... you got a very bad value.

To each his own! It might be an "overpriced" Harley, Boston Whaler, Rolex, Ferraris... it matters not. If you can swing it and enjoy it, more power to ya :)

Back