Worst Full Auto You've Shot?

Like most every other FA firearm, the M10 can actually be used to good effect with trigger control. Sure, with its cyclic rate it needs a bit more practice, but it's far from being uncontrollable.
Good point. Using the shoulder stock (and a silencer as a foregrip), it's not that bad if you control the bursts to 3-5 rounds. And they ARE quite reliable. Mine has only jammed once since 1984.
But you can't shoot 'em full auto with one hand like they do in the movies! :p :rolleyes: ;)

M3-? Grease gun. In 9X19.

Had a choice tween the mini Grease and Thompson. Obvious....Grease so much lighter and smaller. Played for bout 500 rounds......took the Thompson and kept it till it was replaced with M-16. Thompson worked every time and it was so easy to put three in a small area. Was worth the extra weight, bulk and complexity.

Never have tried a .45 Grease.....might be a better critter, probably is.

Sam

My MAC's Great!

I have a Powder Springs M10/9 and while it's not a MP-5, it's sure not a bad gun to shoot.

I can squeeze 2-3 round bursts and, using the front strap, can put a burst on target at 15 yards. IMO, not bad for an open bolt gun.

Shooting full auto is like sex - there really isn't any that's bad :)

Most frustrating was shooting a new (to me) AM-180 and a new FNC. The AM-180 was finicky ammo-wise, took a few trips to the range to figure out what to feed it. The FNC had trigger assembly problems and would runaway.

Like some other things I could name, there's no BAD full auto. ;) There is only good, better, and best.

I've never shot a MAC, so I'd have to say an UZI, that was the cheesiest I've ever shot, but it worked pretty dang effective. :D

Define "worst". "Worst" because I couldn't afford to pay for more ammo, definitely the M2 Browning :-). "Worst" because it fired so fast that the fun was over, and I had to wear my thumbs out loading more mags, probably the M11 in .380. From a technical standpoint, I've had more than one "run away" on me, and wouldn't stop firing when the trigger was released, so all you can do is hang on and keep everything going downrange.

The worst - - -

Perhaps the American 180. Fascinating little gun, and the idea of being able to shoot a lot of full auto cheaply was great. But my friend's gun wasn't cooperating. The big drum jammed often, and I had at least two out-of-battery rounds go off. Made my right ear ring and the little bits of brass and burning powder didn't feel at all good.

I like the US Carbines, but I never learned to hit anything with the M2 on full auto, beyond a very few yards range. Guess I need to go back and try some more.

An original AR10, former Dutch military gun. It had a lot of felt recoil on semi, and was really punishing on full auto, trying to hit from the shoulder. Surprisingly controllable from the hip, though.

Best,
Johnny Guest

Since this thread is getting a lot of traffic...................... I've never viewed alot of full auto guns as being reliable. Are these (under $3000) F/A guns reliable?

Seems like many of them are such hi maintenance their annoying to take to a range. If I get more than a couple malfunctions out of gun I sell it.

A lot of subguns that fire from an open bolt (and used to be cheap) are very reliable. One of the most reliable I've shot has been a Madsen M50. It is very simply made, has a slow rate of fire, and just keeps going bangbangbangbangbang as long as you don't use anything but ball ammo in it.

You also have to have good magazines to keep subs running well.

Maybe the MAC is too fast, but that grease gun was BORING! I almost felt like I was standing around waiting for the next round to fire.

We had been firing up MP-5s when somebody brought out an M3A1 to play with. My first burst with it I fired a burst of one... it cycled so slow compared to the MP-5s that I thought I had a malf and let my finger off the trigger before it had fired the next round.

Still, I liked it... it was handy and I could hit what I aimed at; but I've always done better with chuggers like the Uzi and M3 than I have with higher cyclic rate guns (MP5 and Walther MPL being the 2 exceptions).

Some good observations on the MP5 has me rethinking my "MAC was the worst" post. The problem is I think MP5s are so damn sexy. I did fire a sear conversion once that jammed every few rounds. Turned me off to conversions by Hard Times Armory.

I remember reading an article that Kokalis did awhile back, on the Vector Uzi. He mentioned that most of the sear guns (MP5) had reliability problems. He did not say why though, but I think it may go along the lines of being a parts gun.
I am curious though, were the MP 5s that have been discussed German made? To me that correlates to the problems an LE agency had when they bought their MPs, to find out that the guns were Pakistani manufactured (I found the last incident in the book on the MP 5, Project 64).
Also, what ammo was being shot out of the MPs?

fed168,

Virtually all of the transferable MP5s are HK Germany conversions of the HK94. Urban legend has it that a few real MP5s made it in before the '68 GCA.

A buddy has a push pin registered receiver MP5 conversion and that runs like a top. It can take advantage of factory MP5 full auto parts so could be more reliable than a sear gun. Except for being chopped, channeled, drilled and remarked, its as close to an MP5 as you can get. Alas PP/RR MP5s carry a 30-40% premium over sear guns.

participated in an wargames exercise,never fired a m60 before and after it was over we were allowed to each fire it 500 rnds live ammo into targets set back 100 yard into a hill..lol,beat my chin up,then shown easier way,by resting your palm over the top and placing your chin on that.not the worst but after i got the hang of it,became the most fun. macs,i dont see how anyone could possably shoot one in each hand on the fa setting and hit anything.

m76extended.JPG

SW76 was un-ergonomic, climbed badly due to fast rate of fire, had a poor trigger and its stock tended to fold on its own.

Best full-auto was a Grease Gun, simple, controllable and accurate.

MP40 also worked well but seemed complex and some parts are fragile. I'd like to try a PPSh someday... MP5 climbed fairly badly but had decent sights. Had good luck with 1927 Thompson (heavy, accurate) and poor luck with an M1A1 for some reason...couldn't hit much with it.

Hmmm... I originally was going to say the Madsen, which is foolishly designed (due to a forearm grip safety, you MUST use two hands to fire it!), inelegant (clamshell sheetmetal construction!), and inaccurate. But I have to admit that it's fairly handy (about MP-5 sized), and went bang every time I pulled the trigger. But man, shooting it next to an HK MP-5 made it seem sorry as heck!

Then I thought about the M-11 .380 that I've had some experience with. Most of my disgust for it was the fact that about every 4th round would fly out of the open bolt unfired. But that was really just a function of the bad, bad magazines we were using. The sights are almost a joke on them. I would genuinely rather have a Glock with a good 30 rd magazine than an M11, if I were to be in a firefight.

But then there's that certain M-2 Carbine with the really bad trigger, that I've NEVER been able to hit anything with on full auto, despite trying off and on over the last 20-sumpin' years. But it goes bang, and has decent sights, and can go semi.

The Reising that somebody donated to our P.D. runs like a Swiss watch. According to history, the Marines didn't think much of 'em. I suspect that it needs to stay very clean.

Yep, I think the biggest disappointment I've ever had was the American 180 .22 LR. You spend about half an hour painstakingly loading that big transversely-oriented top-mounted drum magazine up, listening to the promises of "write your name in cursive on a sheet of plywood from 15 yards!" Then you pull the trigger: "Brrrt...!" Jam. Clear. "Brt...!" Jam. Clear. "Brrrrrraaatttt[Hey! it's working! It's working...!]...!" Jam. Clear. Thinking about reloading that danged magazine again. Here. You take it; I'm done with it. Gimme the FN or the 1928 Thompson.

My single best FA experience? Would have to be either a well-suppressed MP-5, or the M-60 off the cliff at 400 yd targets. (Happiness is a growing pile of links and cases to your right.:) )

While it worked well, the Beretta M12 smg. Being left handed, it'd throw hot stuff into my face every now & then. Didn't have that problem with any other smg.

Back