Worn Lands

4 MOA was considered acceptable for a WWII rifle. That's 4" at 100 yards, or 2 " at 50. You're in that ballpark with cheap ammo, hand loading will probably let you cut that in half.

Thanks for educating me on that. Never really understood the whole MOA thing.

No prob. There's a lot of misunderstanding on what the term means. Try a search, it comes up often. Won't re-hash it again, but just think of it as an angular unit of measurement that's essentially equivalent to 1", at 100 yards. So, a five inch, group at five hundred yards is one minute of angle, just like the same five shots into one inch at one hundred yards.

Now, what is considered a "group" is also debated.... most use five shots as the standard, some cheaters use three...

Don't ask me why four never comes up...

Now, what is considered a "group" is also debated.... most use five shots as the standard, some cheaters use three...

Just learned something else. I always thought that the standard was a three shot group, not five. From now on I will do a five shot group. I hear of people all the time saying they an inch or less at 100 yards with iron sights. The more I shoot the more I think most are full of @#$%! I'm not saying that it is impossible, but most average shooters cannont do that with iron sights. I know I have not been able to and I own a Swiss K31. I have come close to an inch and a half with it and it is a really impressive rifle.
Thanks for all the replies they have been much incouragement. By the way I am going to get some reloading dies for the 8mm mauser and see how the handloads shoot. Any suggestions on a good load to start with would be appreciated, just send me a message.

Poor rifling on surplus military rifles is quite common. Caused by solders over cleaning them from the muzzle with jointed cleaning rods.

If it doesn't shoot to suite you you can always have the rifle counter bored.

That means the rifling is bored out down the muzzle to get past the worn Lands.

This often does fix accuracy problems.

This is also cheaper then replacing the barrel.

Poor rifling on surplus military rifles is quite common. Caused by solders over cleaning them from the muzzle with jointed cleaning rods

Looking down the rifle bore from the muzzle, it looks perfect. It does swallow a bullet a little more than my other mausers of the same caliber. I don't know it the bullet test is a reliable one though. I guess some bores were probably manufactured larger than other ones.

I went back to the range and took some different ammo. To my surprise my mauser shot better groups with the Yugo surplus than any other ammo I tried. All the mentioned shots were from 100 yards.

S&B 196 grain: 1 five shot group was 3 1/2"

Romanian surplus: 5 five shot groups, largest was around 5" and smallest around 4"

Yugo surplus: 5 five shot groups, largest was 3 1/2" while the smallest group was 2" the other groups averaged around 3" per five shot group. Always that one flyer that would opent the group up!:o

I had a lot of vertical stringing, but not much horizontal. The horizontal width on most groups was under 3", it was the vertical stringing that caused the groups to be so big. Is this me or the rifle? Sometimes I felt like I was messing up the elevation a bit and that the rifle could shoot much better than me.

I usualy confirm sights at 25 and 50 yards. Then I just put a B-27 target at 100 yards. If I can keep the shots inside of the torso at 100 yards I call it good enough for me. I have 3 Mosin Nagant 91-30 rifles. I can keep all shots inside of the 8 ring at 100 yards with spam can ammo. My hand loads are a different story. I did not load those for supreme accuracy. I loaded them for reduced recoil, and the Mrs. has back, and neck problems so I had to come up with some rounds she could shoot from her rifle without wanting to go home to lay down after 5 shots.

Back