World record price for primers

What gouging? Did you or the OP buy at that price? If not, how did you get gouged? If anyone WILLINGLY paid their ASKING price, then they determined the price asked was acceptable, so AGAIN, no gouging. Just because someone is charging more than YOU want to pay, doesn't mean anyone is gouging or being gouged.
That is gouging. He does not deserve repeat business. If you don't think so, trade with him.

What gouging? Did you or the OP buy at that price? If not, how did you get gouged? If anyone WILLINGLY paid their ASKING price, then they determined the price asked was acceptable, so AGAIN, no gouging. Just because someone is charging more than YOU want to pay, doesn't mean anyone is gouging or being gouged.

Correct.

Sellers are free to ask whatever price they wish.

Buyers are free to accept or decline.

No gouging.

They aren't gougers; they are business men trying to earn a living. You have no idea what his fixed and variable costs are. You have no idea what his replacement costs are (or if he can even get replacements) and that is what he will set his price for. Gas at my local station jumped $.20 in 3 hours - why? Because his replacement cost jumped during the day.
But, you are free to not do business with anyone not selling components today at prices from Trump's tenure; good luck with that.
A gun related example; folks thought I was crazy for buying lead shot for my shotguns when it was $55/bag; now it is $75/bag IF they even have it. And people are scrambling and willing to pay the price if it was only available. Add in the latest gun control screaming after a few incidents and things will only go up in price as the possibility of nothing being available shortly looms over our heads.

OK, then there is no such a thing as "price gouging", correct?

Here is a definition of "price gouging" - Price gouging refers to when retailers and others take advantage of spikes in demand by charging exorbitant prices for necessities, often after a natural disaster or other state of emergency.

Webster's - charging customers too much money

According to several people who posted here (and I've seen it many other places), there is no such thing as price gouging since the buyer can refuse to pay the price. Does this mean that this term is really non-existent? Maybe it's a real term if something like baby formula which is needed to keep an infant alive(it's a "necessity", right?), is being price-gouged if a shortage jacked up the price (fill in the blank) percent?

Sure, reloading primers are not needed to keep a baby alive, but IMHO, at some point the price meets the definition or there is no definition. The term is meaningless. It dang sure doesn't apply to "scalpers" who jack up ticket prices at the door of a concert, football game or other event. No one has to see a rock-and-roll band play!

the45er said:
Here is a definition of "price gouging" - Price gouging refers to when retailers and others take advantage of spikes in demand by charging exorbitant prices for necessities, often after a natural disaster or other state of emergency.

The key word there is "necessities". There's a difference between gouging and scalping. I've never seen anyone use Lakers tickets to board up their windows before a hurricane hits.

You guys need to shop around for better prices. I just got 1000 CCI Large Pistol primers from Midway USA for $89.99. Bass Pro Shops is another good place to get them but you have to go there in person.

You guys need to shop around for better prices. I just got 1000 CCI Large Pistol primers from Midway USA for $89.99. Bass Pro Shops is another good place to get them but you have to go there in person.
RoyceP is correct, I paid the same amount for CCI 500s, hazmat is 19.99 you can only buy 1 of each meaning you can buy 1 brick of CCI 500s 1 Brick of CCI 400s etc. As soon as I get the email its in I buy sign up for the notifications

What dwhite says:

Thats not a bad idea. We've had 2+ years to sort this out and nowhere near done with it. I'v sat pat on my stock, shooting very little. Time to get going again. Why wait til I'm about out to buy multi-inflated bricks when I could just do 1 nose bleed at a time.

Consider attending Estate Sales. Good buys and finds always items this & that's sold at much reduced pricing. Garage sales: Not so much. Seldom will you encounter Shooting Sports hardware at a neighbors garage sale.

I always bring my stock up to a decade's worth of components when pricing is reasonable and I maintain it at that level until prices lurch up again due to exceptional demand. This is because I expect there'll be another shortage in around ten years. This is my fourth one in about as many decades (though one was pretty minor), and it is probably the worst and seems likely to remain so for a bit. I don't recall any shortage in the two decades before the one in the first half of the 1990s, though I was less conscious of such things at the time. In any event, I still think the ten-year stockpile is a good strategy, and if you can manage to plan out your expected average year's shooting activities that far ahead, I would do so now and be ready to start gradually bringing your stock up when pricing finally normalizes again. It eventually should do that when the pending production capacity increases are all on line and raw material supply lines get back to something resembling normal.

I always bring my stock up to a decade's worth of components when pricing is reasonable and I maintain it at that level until prices lurch up again due to exceptional demand. This is because I expect there'll be another shortage in around ten years. This is my fourth one in about as many decades (though one was pretty minor), and it is probably the worst and seems likely to remain so for a bit. I don't recall any shortage in the two decades before the one in the first half of the 1990s, though I was less conscious of such things at the time. In any event, I still think the ten-year stockpile is a good strategy, and if you can manage to plan out your expected average year's shooting activities that far ahead, I would do so now and be ready to start gradually bringing your stock up when pricing finally normalizes again. It eventually should do that when the pending production capacity increases are all on line and raw material supply lines get back to something resembling normal.
I kind of do the same thing you do. What got me this time was small pistol primers. One of my ammo cans, the big ones about 2 ft tall, that I thought was full of small pistol actually was full of Rem 9 1/2. I am not out of small pistol, but I had to scale my shooting way back.

Until recently i had a large quantity of Winchester large rifle magnum primers bought during the "Clinton's gonna outlaw re-loading" panic. Gave the buyer a sweetheart deal; $7/100.

Overjoyed to have picked up 5 bricks of Federal 150 LPP at $75/brick this past Saturday. Primers may be found in strange and unusual places.
I was in Myrtle Beach on vacation, asked on FB for local reloading shops...mostly nothing available and good luck responses. But the next day I received a FB Message offering to sell me primers on my way back to Ohio if I wanted to deviate my course and swing by his shop. I hadn't planned on going that way...but for 5 bricks...and for $75 per? Yeah...and my wife was happy to allow it. Added 1hr at most to my drive home.

Here in germany prices price for primers are also in an all-time high. 1000 Cci 500sp @ 140 euros. What is the reason for the price increase and shortage?

Back