Words have meanings...

Had to think about it

Words have meaning. With that I agree. Do not point your gun at me or shoot near me. "Snake Drill" with a good instructor? Do I trust your ability to shoot near me? NO, NO, NO. Name the top ten best shots in the world. Line them up. Stand next to there target down range. NO, NO, NO.
Don't be that guy. The one who is the only person here professional enough to do............

I will close with a story. William Tell according to legend was forced to shoot an apple off his sons head. He withdrew two arrows and shot the apple. his tormentor asked "You were only given one try. Why did you have two arrows?" He responded . "If I had missed the second arrow was for you."
Excellent marksman that he was Tell knew he could miss.

Double Naught Spy said:

In the classes I have been in, "Big Boy Rules" meant that we weren't going to be treated like Handgun 101 students. We would be running a hot range with ongoing activities at the firing line and behind it (non shooters) and that we were each to act in responsible manners. It meant that anyone could yell at anyone else for safety issues at any time they occurred. It meant that one did not have to ask permission to leave the firing line or to go to the fiddle table to deal with a problem so long as it was done in a safe manner.

"Big Boy Rules" also mean no whining.

My experience has been likewise.

That's what it's supposed to mean.

However, various "instructors" seem to have read it on the internet and to have rendered their own interpretation.

Yep and let us not forget the newer terms as seen on S.W.A.T. TV " your dynamic situation " :barf:makes me want to puke:barf:. As the OP is bringing to light call it what it is, a dam gun fight, life and death situation, the proverbial SHTF and you're caught up in it. Maybe it sells TV or gets people to pay and take the coarse.

I don't allow anyone around me to handle guns in a sloppy manner. If someone wants to cop an attitude I won't be shooting with them.

Muzzle? I say in a sharp tone, "hey watch where you are pointing that (fill in the blank) thing". I really get ****** if someone responds with something lame like it's not loaded, it's not cocked, whatever.

I've been around very few people that need to be told this, but when I'm with someone new to shooting I overly stress the good form of safe handling that starts with never point the gun at a person.

Pax,

Great post.

I too have been in classes that incorporated "downrange" drills. I personally found them to be very helpful in the development and confirmation of my mindset and a boost to my confidence level. The caveat to this is that the instructors running the classes were very competent. I have no doubt that had any of the students in the classes not been capable, they would not have been allowed to participate (and the drills were voluntary, no one was required to participate).

As to the "big boy rules" thing. I agree with those who said that the phrase should be interpreted as "you are being treated like a professional...conduct yourself accordingly."
Using the phrase as an excuse for poor and/or unsafe gunhandling is inexcusable.

Words do not mean, ...

... People mean. - S.I. Hayakawa

No matter how you try to skin this, the meaning of any and all words are relative to the observer.

This is the first that I hear about stuff like this outside, like, Russia or such.

In military training 20 years ago it was heavily relied on that there was no ammunition available outside very separate and very seldom live fire excercises. The habits developed were godawful. The four rules hadn't landed on these shores by that time at all - the only rule I ever saw said "never point a weapon at any person but the enemy" but even that was interpreted such that any buddy posing as enemy during excercise was open season. Even shooting blanks, with the blank firing muzzle device in place - some of which could be loose and fly off the muzzle any time too.

Nowadays it's all IPSC style and very strict, no problem there. For military purposes I've been to some more "dynamic" training which were conducted without personal RO'ing - individual range practice considerably exceeding the usual 180 degrees sectors, everyone responsible for clearing their own weapon, team drills conducted in dry firing mode, doing full 360 drills in e.g. room clearing that way and observing not a single violation of the four rules.

Still it wouldn't even occur to even these instructors with 20+ years of training and missions behind them to be sending anyone in front of anyone else's muzzle for "confidence building", for heaven's sake.

Back