Woods Handgun

I don't think the choice of caliber is all that important between the two as much as the ammunition you choose. I will say that I do favor the 357 Mag over the 45 ACP just because I cut my teeth on it and I suppose I know it better. In either case I've always found what has worked out best for me after 44 years of shooting is to stick with or close to the standard weight bullets.

S&W 627, eight rounds of whatever .38 or .357mag ammo suits your needs. If all I could pick is one handgun and one rifle, they would be my 627 and my Henry .357. Just can't beat the versatility of this combo IMO.

My North Carolina woods gun is my Sig 2022 in 40cal. I don't carry for animal protection. I mainly carry for the 2 legged threat. Occasionally I'll carry my PF9 if I'm hiking and traveling light.

sights and star

I see adjustable rear sights (common on magnum revolvers) as a bit more fragile than the low profile semi fixed rears on many auto pistols. I ruined an adjustable rear on an L-frame myself, while it was securely snapped into to a duty holster. That pistol could no longer provide a useable sight pic 'till the rear leaf was replaced. I got chewed out for that,even though I did not see it as completely my fault.......you do stuff, stuff happens. The fixed sights on the DA service revolvers and the Colt SAA seem far more durable to me, think Model 10, Model 57 (?) and so on. I see the dinky rear sight on my Smith Mtn as it's weakest point. And the tiny screws that anchor the rear sights sometimes come loose, and that fine target sight has some really tiny parts that can go south. Aside, I wish Smith or Colt made a .44 along the lines of the New Service /1917 model

Now some auto sights are adjustable, and some auto sights are not very durable. Despite my like of the G20, its poly sights are not really tough, and I've noticed that the poly front sight on my G34 has a most curious ding in it, though the sight pic remains the same. I likely wacked it on a barricade at a match. Steel sights are likely a good upgrade on a Glock.

I dunno about the comments regards shooting a revolver with a case under the star. My experience has been that if that oddity happens, I cannont close the cylinder, .....no way to fire a round.

cops

You'd be surprised how many cops treat their sidearms. Trained, probably, motivated, maybe not. I've seen both autos and revolvers neglected/abused enough to cause reliability issues.

I believe the current modern auto pistol, (pick your favorite) is far ahead of the early service autos like the M39 and M59 Smiths, and worn out GI 1911's, which likely started the "6 for sure" mantra. Any of the various torture tests of the modern auto, so popular these days , is pretty convincing of how far we've come with the auto pistol.

While most hi cap autos do bring more ammo to the fight, and a faster reload, what I see as their strongest advantage is ease of shooting, very important for all, and a plus to the marginal officer. Range scores as a general rule jumped significantly in my outfit with adoption of a modern 9mmDA/SA auto, despite its dual personality trigger. The stiff DA trigger, and magnum ammo of the big L-frames were just too much gun for some in the rank and file.

Better get back on track. I suppose a woods gun is like any other shootin' iron, to each his own. For me, the lighter, flatter, easier to carry 10mm or .45acp auto has become the way. I won't part with my big revolvers, but they don't get out as much as they used to.

"Hosing down a revolver" now there's a maintenance routine....hopefully not with the garden hose!!!:D

Guns that people plan on shooting at a distance or with accuracy have adjustable sights. You can snob noses and 4" revolvers with fixed sights. You can get SA with adjustable sights, depending on use.

Many concealed carry guns do not have them, so they do not snag.

Signts do not reflect the reliability of gun.

I do not need to worry a out lube to much, or to little, or if my gun likes my bullet. Don't have to worry about limp wristing, and even with an injured hand I can load. Yes, I know there are some tricks to load a semi auto one handed, but I sure don't want to learn or try them under stress.

My preference. Many people like capacity. When I go on coke buys, I bring the 15 shot Glock. I also do snowshoeing int he winter with dogs, loaded with round nose FMJ. No bears or people.

Just me,,,but I have always liked revolvers better for the field use and autos better for town/potential fighting.

Either will cover the ground of the other, but for a "field and stream gun", I have always liked the revolver.
I can vary the ammo without any concern for function.

It doesn't throw out the brass (I reload my own ammo, so that is something I think about)

The single action pulls on most revolvers are much better than on most autos so using it to fill the pot is easier.

Even a cheep revolver is usually very accurate. (Although my revolvers are not the cheap ones) Some autos are as good, but to get revolver level accuracy in an auto you are usually going to spend a lot of cash.

More revolvers come with adjustable sights then come on autos. Again not a concern for fighting, but it is a concern for head shooting birds or squirrels or killing a deer at 70 to 125 yards

But that just my feelings on the subject. It doesn't make me "right" and someone else "wrong".

Last edited:
but for a "field and stream gun", I have always liked the revolver.
That's good, Wyosmith. Honestly, that's all I care about for packing a handgun. I'm not even armed when I go to town. I work all over the Portland metro region doing tree service, armed only with chainsaws and pruning loppers. I escape to the real woods whenever I can, and when I do, a Vaquero 45 is my constant companion.

I carry a S&W mountain gun in .41 magnum. If you don't reload, ammo is a problem as it isn't on every shelf in a sporting goods or hardware store. Not a problem for me though. I prefer it to my (too heavy) RSRH 7 1/2" in .454 Casull.

If I have to use a gun to defend myself in the woods, or any place else, the last thing I am going to be concerned with is where the brass goes. I do carry a revolver but that is because my 357 Ruger came as a revolver. It has fully adjustable sights, I actually made the blades larger and installed them, and I have never had a problem drawing in combat training or snagging them on stuff in the woods. If I get to the point where I can trust a semi-auto as completely as I trust my revolver I may use it in concealed carry options. I hate chasing brass so at the range I use an 8x8 foot brass catcher but it is a bit hard to drag around the three gun course and the steel challenge course so I accept that I am going to lose the ammo in those games. I sometimes buy the reclaimed brass after a match and get most of my ammo back and a bunch more that gets processed into my reloading supply.
I will carry only guns in which I have complete faith for protection. Beyond that it really doesn't matter what kind of action it has or the size of the gun. I practice continuously with my carry gun and I would do the same no matter what.

My vote would be for .357 Sig. It's a low recoil hard hitting round and most autos have twice the capacity of a revolver. The bottleneck case aids feeding and I have never been able to make one jam. I carry a P229 when I'm out in the forest.

My vote would be for .357 Sig. It's a low recoil hard hitting round and most autos have twice the capacity...

I'm curious about the 115-grain Xtreme Penetrator, either from Lehigh or in its hotter loading from Underwood. It seems like it would really shine in .357 Sig, which is already known for penetration.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Lehigh 357 Sig XP.jpg
    Lehigh 357 Sig XP.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 354
I'm curious about the 115-grain Xtreme Penetrator, either from Lehigh or in its hotter loading from Underwood. It seems like it would really shine in .357 Sig, which is already known for penetration.

Does anyone sell the projectiles for reloading?

Or you could try a 9 x 25 dillon--same idea but based on the bigger 10mm case.

That optic mount sucks BTW--don't recommend it.;)

FYI, I was also able to find the Xtreme Penetrator bullets on the Midway site where they are less expensive. I ordered some 9MM and some .38 cal. I plan to test them against the Gold Dots and XTP's I have been using and will let you guys know how it works out.
It will take a while though because our national forest is currently under fire restrictions and closed to target shooting until we start getting some decent rain. Seems one of our local Border Patrol agents decided to shoot Tannerite in 40 mph wind and sparked a huge wildfire here. Our monsoon season should start in a few weeks and they will lift the restrictions.

Based upon what you are looking for, anything that is good for self defense against people should work for you. First, you're most likely to need a gun against a human attacker than against an animal even when out in the woods. Second, hogs and mountain lions don't have the dense muscle and bone structure of a bear. A good self-defense JHP in a good self-defense caliber should work just fine.

For bear, most of what I've read suggests that bear strength pepper spray is likely to be more effective than any handgun. Of course, in all the time I've spent outdoors camping and fishing, I have not had one personal encounter with a bear, so I don't have any first hand experience. Also, should that pepper spray fail to stop the animal (as it might) we all would like something that would give us a last ditch chance.

For us on the East Coast, we have black bears only. They are smaller and not as tough as brown and grizzly. So, the big .44mag and above may not be 100% necessary. Penetration is most important. I'd avoid .45, in fact, if I wanted to use a common semi-auto self-defense caliber, I think a .40 loaded with Underwood or Buffalo Bore hard cast lead rounds would be my choice. A .357mag should be acceptable (minimum acceptable strength against black bear) loaded with a heavy, hard cast lead bullet. My personal choice when in the woods is .45LC in my S&W 625MG. That said, if you want a 1911, how about a 10mm? I think 10mm (especially loaded with a hard cast lead bullet, like those loaded by Buffalo Bore or Underwood) is a good choice against black bear, and if you encounter the more likely human threat you'll have a little more capacity than in a revolver.

Back