Wood or synthetic for my first hunting rifle?

As far as a "maintenance" stand point the synthetic/Stainless is probably the most weather resistant. Now laminated wood is a good alternative to those who like the feel of wood and the weather resistance of synthetic. For me, I generally dislike the feel of the standard synthetic (plastic) stocks that come on a variety of guns. If I were to get synthetic stocks they would be either H-S Precision, McMillian, or even Bell and Carlson.

Separate your stock from your wood, mask the outside with painters tape, and apply 3 to 4 thin coats of spray urathane or clear enamel to all the inside surfaces. This will help keep water from getting into the wood. When you get to camp or home from a days hunting in the rain, pull the metal off, dry off the wood and metal. Oil the metal parts again. For the wood, I like to use Old English furnature polish. Then re assemble. It dosn't take long to do this and is well worth the effort.

I favor stainless and synthetic. One thing though is trapped moisture and potential rust where you might not see it. Separate the stock once in a blue moon to check for rust.

I'm no fan of plastic (synthetic) stocks on rifles but have no quarrel with those who love 'em. Each to his own I say.

I lightly wax my walnut stocked rifle with Johnson. Had excellent protection during storms. No problems.

Good hunting to you.

Jack

I love the look of wood stocks however refuse to own a hunting rifle with one. For me a hunting rifle is 100% utility and a synthetic stock meets that need better. Not affected by moisture, not worried about scratches, splitting, etc. I've had to tighten action screws on many rifles at work as the wood dries out in our dry climate area. Not my cup of tea!

Back