Wonder why no Lee Load All in .410

SHR970
And I'm NOT using a tubed 12 gauge; rather a real 410 U/O on a real 410 frame.

I shot a real .410 target o/u on a real .410 frame for many years -- it was too whippy for me -- many 24s, but no straights. Finally, after getting my first tubed gun, the .410 25s soon followed. But, my tubed guns are too heavy to hump in the field all day. Little .410 O/Us are sweet field guns "IF you understand and live within their limitations."

To all those who've not reloaded .410s, it's a different experience from the bigger gauges. Years ago, one of my team mates got his first .410 loader after saving several skeet seasons' worth of hulls. It was a turret MEC, the same model as his 12, 20 and 28-Ga MECs. I got a call late in the evening and he said he couldn't get the thing to run properly -- it kept burping wads and spilling shot. My reply was, what's the problem, that's what loading .410s is all about. Then, I told him about using a bump stroke to make sure there was no compressed air under the .410's wad so it would stay down. Getting a good crimp is another story.

There is a guy in his early 80's who shoots a Browning Citori .410 for trap. Although he recently was compelled to get used to shooting trap while sitting down on a stool, he stills smokes it from 16 yards with that .410. (Sing "little .410" to the tune of the Beach Boy's "Little Deuce Coupe".

To all those who've not reloaded .410s, it's a different experience from the bigger gauges. Years ago, one of my team mates got his first .410 loader after saving several skeet seasons' worth of hulls. It was a turret MEC, the same model as his 12, 20 and 28-Ga MECs. I got a call late in the evening and he said he couldn't get the thing to run properly -- it kept burping wads and spilling shot. My reply was, what's the problem, that's what loading .410s is all about. Then, I told him about using a bump stroke to make sure there was no compressed air under the .410's wad so it would stay down. Getting a good crimp is another story.

Just like burping a baby!

Mike Irwin wrote: I didn't say useless, now did I?

No but 410's aren't the nearly dead one trick pony that your analogy alludes to either.

As much as I think the Judge series are an answer to a hypothetical question they were good for one thing. They took the 410 shell from ugly freckled unwanted red head step child and brought available loads out of the late 60's. Now if a major used something like the Gualandi wads, they would perform even better.

When I first started reloading .410 I had a set of standard dies, they may have been CH's but my memory tells me they were an old set of Texans. I do remember I paid about 10 bucks for them at a swap meet and years later sold them for 10X that on Ebay.

Who knows... perhaps the boys at LEE tried to make a .410 but couldn't get it to work satisfactorily on that platform. FYI: Dillon's fancy $1,150 SL-900 doesn't come in .410.

Back