Woman Shot in Face on Atlanta Interstate

My first impression, not knowing anything about it: Gang Banger initiation.

Yes, I thought about that and also considered that maybe they did cut someone off or something that initiated a road rage issue. I mean just because you don’t know you made someone angry doesn’t mean you didn’t.

Also, I will agree with the general consensus that there just isn’t a lot you can do to prepare for an incident like this.

In closing the words of an Atlanta Comedian come to mind, “Atlanta, the city where dreams come true and where you can get killed at a traffic light”.

Similar thing happened to me in Denver. Driving south on I25 and my passanger window explodes. In the seat next to me amoungst the broken glass, a well mushroomed .177 caliber pellet from an air rifle.

No warning, nothing. Some random act by someone standing somewhere next to the Interstate shooting at cars. I am just glad it was not a .22 or larger!

Moral of this story, there was absolutely NOTHING i could have done. I didn't even see a person with a gun at highway speeds! The cops said they couldn't do anything either.

Just unlucky in this civilized country.

One of my former students was murdered by some random bozos in Washington state, years ago. These guys were bored, so they were hanging out at a convenience store, waiting for a target of opportunity to follow and snipe at. At least one of them confessed to it, and gave evidence against the other two.

Sometimes, there is absolutely no reason for these things.

All the lieutenant had done was pull into, and drive away from, the wrong store.

A. Nothing good happens at 2:00am.
In certain places, that might be a somewhat justifiable statement. But, it's not a good one-size-fits-all rule.

Crime in one of the places I lived in Florida died down to nearly nothing after about midnight. There just wasn't enough foot traffic or vehicle traffic for the bad guys to blend into. At 2 am, anyone doing anything even remotely unusual stuck out like a sore thumb.

You were much more likely to get robbed, beaten, or shot at (as I was, twice) at 5 pm, than 2 am.

Where I live now, more than 80% of crimes are committed between 8 am and 8 pm. (Salt Lake County, Utah) So, I'd have to say that nothing good happens at 2 pm.

I have spent nearly half of my life as a "night person" due to scheduling requirements and the long-term affect that had on my body. Even big cities are amazingly peaceful at 2 am (the true lull in most places is about 3:00 to 3:30 am). It's just that "day people" feel uncomfortable, because everything looks different, they can't see anything as clearly, and people seem to "pop up" out of nowhere if you aren't paying attention. Improve your night vision, be aware, and don't be so paranoid. Two am is a great time for some peace and quiet. ;)

Plus... I do most of my reloading at 2 am. Anything coming off the reloading bench is a good thing. ;)

As for the situation....
It's one of those things you can't do anything about (within reason).
If it happens, it happens. Just hope that you can get the car to safety, and that you or a backup driver knows how to get to the nearest hospital quickly.

Back