Wolf buckshot is trash--a heads up

50% arrived like these. 25% were shattered with no buckshot in the shell. Those that aren't broken at all, there is no pattern in the plastic but that circle...so...

About all break on ejection from waist high. Sure, that isn't what you do with a shell. But it goes to show if I drop them from my short stature hip...it's likely toast. In my batch/experience.

I did this with a lot to test them as I have no use for them now.

2TUD0I7m.jpg

My Rio #1 and Nobel buckshot arrived and though both have similar clear disks, non broken or broke on ejection.
If those are the Wolf shells, just because the plastic cover cracks that doesn't meant the shell can't be shot. So long as the shot is retained, it should still be good.

Those that broke open during shipping are clearly no good. I cannot tell if it's damage from shipping (possible) or an overly fragile plastic cover. I would still contact Wolf and complain. They should send you a box of ammunition that's not broken upon arrival. Same as Bud's and I would never buy ammo from Bud's again if they're gonna raise a stink over a $1 insurance fee. That said, if I ever buy shotgun ammo again, I'll be exercising insurance on it.

I've had interesting results with Wolf ammo in the past, most recently with .38 Special steel case. Steel case in revolvers requires empty cases to be removed individually as steel is more difficult to extract than brass.

Some would say that's garbage ammo because it doesn't work like normal ammo. It shot accurately, albeit flashy.

Give Wolf a call

Phone No. 888*757*9653 (WOLF)

100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED

WOLF is the only ammunition company that provides a 100% Performance Guarantee. If you are not fully satisfied WOLF will refund your money on the unused portion of the ammunition, including any freight charges!

http://wolfammo.com/guarantee.html

So I bagged on both companies. I want to clarify a few things.

The picture of the cracked disks is straight from the box.

While I agree ejecting a live round at waist height isn't normal, understand I got half a case of shotgun shells where 50% are cracked severely, 25% of shells have the buckshot rolling in the box, and one highly unsatisfied person. It did seem worth while to check that the "fine" rounds really were fragile too. It's not like I'm spend 9 bucks a box on Wolf buckshot for giggles at the range.

I guess I will call Wolf to help them know the lot or all their stuff is unacceptably fragile.

To Buds, they were responsive, ready to fix it, and then saw I didn't do the $1 shipping insurance. "Nothing we can do for you." Well, that isn't a great attitude for a longtime customer with ammo and guns. I don't feel bad about disputing the charge with my credit card.

I am amazed we've gotten this far without someone correcting for the technical name of that disk that holds the shot into the shell. :)

Last edited:
It's called a wad or more specifically an over shot wad. Typically they're made of cardboard. Using a hard plastic for that wad seems dumb but maybe they were thinking it would disintegrate on firing but made it more fragile than they planned.

Tony

Called Wolf and they are taking it back then providing me a full refund.

So that's good. Thumbs up.

"over shot wad" awesome. Thanks for teaching me the term. :)

A friend put a couple boxes of Wolf ammo thru his Mini-30 a while back, - 5 days later, bore rusty as hell, just saying. Corrosive primers?

Back