Wolf buckshot is trash--a heads up

wild cat mccane

Know buckshot is hard to find.

A little FYI, whatever that plastic covering of the shot is, Wolf it's unrealistically fragile junk. Half my order from Buds came broken in transit with the buck rolling around in the box. Buds was kind enough to not do anything about it because I didn't do the $1 shipping insurance.

I noticed if I ejected a perfectly fine live round, most would break from the fall to the ground at hip level.

I can’t quite follow what you’re describing about the ammo, but it’s pretty clear you chose to save ONE DOLLAR for insurance and now think they should insure it anyway. This one’s on you.

NoSecondBest said:
I can’t quite follow what you’re describing about the ammo, but it’s pretty clear you chose to save ONE DOLLAR for insurance and now think they should insure it anyway. This one’s on you.

I'd say it is a bit unfair to say it is wild cat mccane's fault for not buying insurance. The title of his thread was that Wolf buckshot is trash, not Bud's is trash. I have never had buck shot so fragile that it just cracked from being dropped. My guess would be that the plastic formulation was off on that batch or that it was temperature abused to the point that the plastic got brittle.

I would contact Wolf and let them know.

Never held a buckshot ball before. Now I have a quarter of a case of loose balls. Incredible. Load one. Eject it from the hip. Hits ground. Shot goes everywhere. Plastic cover bits galore.

At almost two bucks per shell. Nice lesson.

Pictures would go a long way to help figure this issue out. Looking at stock photos of the ammo, it looks like the shot is held with a plastic disc that's roll crimped. Is it that disc that's breaking or the hull itself?

Whichever it is this isn't damage from shipping, this is an ammo issue as you're saying the shells that aren't damaged are breaking if dropped.

Pictures would go a long way to help figure this issue out. Looking at stock photos of the ammo, it looks like the shot is held with a plastic disc that's roll crimped. Is it that disc that's breaking or the hull itself?

Whichever it is this isn't damage from shipping, this is an ammo issue as you're saying the shells that aren't damaged are breaking if dropped.
He said it's the plastic disc breaking in his message. If it isn't the disc the only other thing would be the hull breaking and I doubt that is what's happening.

I have some ammo that has a clear plastic disc over the shot but never a problem with it, made by Estate. But I would not use Wolf ammo if it were given to me, my opinion of it is that it's junk.

Would be nice if the OP posted some pictures, but does anyone really think he will? Kind of hard to believe his claim, anyone can say anything but pictures help to support it.

T6bKAVYm.jpg

Last edited:
It would be nice if the OP came back with pictures.... :)

Get them up today.

But yes. The round plastic disc (which you experts will call with an actual name) shatters when dropped from waist level.

I'm not sure how it shoots. Admittedly haven't shot those not broken straight from the UPS box.

I assume a buckshotless buckshot shell doesn't require shot actually in the shell to build the pressure, dwell, etc to cycle. But I'm betting the print will be non existent :D

50% arrived like these. 25% were shattered with no buckshot in the shell. Those that aren't broken at all, there is no pattern in the plastic but that circle...so...

About all break on ejection from waist high. Sure, that isn't what you do with a shell. But it goes to show if I drop them from my short stature hip...it's likely toast. In my batch/experience.

I did this with a lot to test them as I have no use for them now.

2TUD0I7m.jpg

My Rio #1 and Nobel buckshot arrived and though both have similar clear disks, non broken or broke on ejection.

Ok, to be clear, is it the body of the shell breaking or is it the "over the shot wad" (which, in the old paper shells was cardstock).

The shells are roll crimped with an over the shot "wad" of plastic? Not the star pattern folded crimp found on most shells today??

From what I read on the internet, some people swear by Wolf ammo, most people swear AT it... :D

How was the stuff packaged for shipping? Who was the carrier? Mostly just curious but it changes who is responsible.
However, Wolf ammo has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You should contact 'em.
http://wolfammo.com/contact-us.aspx
I don't think that matters much anyway. If the plastic won't survive a trip in a truck, it wouldn't survive being cycled in a shotgun either. Moreso if the shotgun is a semi-auto. Never mind the trip from Mother Russia.

Bud's put in one bubble strip on one side.

3 following orders from Buds with the $1 shipping insurance was the entire order (not wolf) surrounded by bubble. So, yeah. I do blame Buds a bit.

The shells that look okay break when dropped.

It's the cover piece. Photo shows the breaks easily.

No email on Wolf...so just disputing the charge with Capital One.

I ordered some of this from Bud's a while back ($.58 a round I believe). Received it in good condition and shot some last week. So far, so good.

Back