With the rumors of K frame cone cutting...

What you are looking at in the pic of the cylinder of the Lawman is a chamfer on the front of the cylinder.

Below is a pic of a bevel on the front of a New Century (Triple Lock).

Note the difference between the Lawman and the Triple Lock.

A chamfer can be either slight that just breaks the edge or deep. A chamfer can be either in the form of a radius or a bevel. On the Lawman it is deep. It was cut on a lathe.

Bevels are usually done on a mill. On the TLock they were cut only on the edge of the cutouts in the cylinder.

None of the above has anything to do with flame cutting or the erosion of the forcing cone.

Here are a couple of discussions on the difference.

https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/166776-the-black-powder-chamfer/

https://rugerforum.net/gunsmithing/71530-black-powder-cylinder-bevel-1st-gen-colt-style.html

tipoc

First I've ever heard of the use of the word "chamfer" on the OUTSIDE of cylinder, at the front.
I've led a sheltered life, I've only heard & seen various degrees of bevel up front.
Never chamfer there.
Chamfer's reserved for the inside of the back end of the chambers.
Denis

One does chamfer both the inside and outside of case mouths after trimming, so I suppose chamfering the front of a cylinder isn't a gross grammar violation, but it is an unusual and uncommon use of the term, so exactly what it meant should be explained in detail.

Model 19 S&W

I could not find a K38 locally. Found a really nice 19-5 with 6" barrel that would do very well. It was always impressed on me that the 19 was a part time 357.
Cone cracking happened in the thin portion of the forcing cone@ 6 o'clock. Reportedly, the problem surfaced when police forces changed to 357 Magnum. The 125gr. loads were the offender. My 19 shoots very well with target WC loads. My feelings is if I want a full time 357 look at the N frame Smith or Ruger's. For the 19 it's gonna be lead hollow points duplicating the FBI load. Otherwise, it's old time WC target loads. I had called on having some work done on the gun at the factory. Before I could get many words out the rep talked over me sharing there were no more cylinders or barrels available. I considered that a hint. For magnums it's the 28-2.

Last edited:
Elmer Keith said that he would stick to factory magnums but mostly his heavy .38 load (which is heavier than 21st century +P+ and more than even .38-44) in Model 19. Of course that was before the advent of the 125 gr JHP.

One does chamfer both the inside and outside of case mouths after trimming, so I suppose chamfering the front of a cylinder isn't a gross grammar violation, but it is an unusual and uncommon use of the term, so exactly what it meant should be explained in detail.

I thought I did that. I also showed the difference. The term is not uncommon.

There is always a chamfer. A chamfer is made whenever a sharp edge is broken. If there were no chamfer the sharp edge of the cylinder would cut the hand. A chamfer can be slight or deep as I explained and showed.

A chamfer on a cylinder cuts evenly all the way around. They are made by a cutting tool removing material to an even depth around, or across the circumference of the part.

A bevel is different. An example of that is the pic of the TLock cylinder. You can see that material has been removed only at the part of the cylinder where the cut out meets and makes a sharp angle when meeting up with the portion of the cylinder which houses the chamber. The depth of cut is not uniform all the way around the cylinder. It only effects that sharp angle at the junction. This cannot be made on a lathe.

That's the difference. At least the difference in terms of a handgun cylinder. Both terms are often used interchangeably with the a bevel being thought of as a deeper chamfor.

tipoc

Back