Wisconsin Passes Concealed Carry-Awaiting Gov. Signature

I never could figure out why a state like Wisconsin - great hunting, not that large a population, good percentage of folks still living rural lives, best cheese anywhere (except Tillamook, OR), lots of open space and a kick-ass football team - didn't have widespread support for CCW long ago.

Or maybe it did among the citizens, but thank goodness the saintly elected legislators knew what was really good for the people?

Two reasons:

#1 Madison WI
#2 Milwaukee WI

Thank god unlike Chicago and Illinois, the people living in more rural areas of the state have the power to outweigh those dwelling in the major cities.

That is great for Wisconsin. As for "National Recriprocity", be careful what you ask for. If that law passes Congress now, the next thing that we will see is Holder, Lautenberg, Schumer, and company trying to pass an implement "National Standards" for getting a Concealed Handgun License. Now, what would those requirements and fees look like? We would be much better off pushing for more agreements at the state-to-state level than for a Federal Law. Remember, when the Feds make one law, then they will eventually make all of the rules.

Or maybe it did among the citizens, but thank goodness the saintly elected legislators knew what was really good for the people?

I've been told by someone on another forum that was involved in the CCW pushes in 01, 03, and 05 that the people they talked to just didn't really care about carrying concealed.

Quote from Monkeyleg:
"We who were working the gun shows for those six years heard most gun owners say they didn't care about CCW, as they didn't want to carry a gun. If they had wanted it, we would have had it in 2001, or maybe even in the 1990's. (The bill was first circulated for co-sponsors in 1991)."

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, the Assembly passed the bill today with no modification. This means it just needs to be enrolled and it will be on the Governor's desk.

This is truly amazing, and something that we should all be happy to hear. Good for Wisconsin and welcome to the world of CC!

Does anyone know how long it will take after the Governer signs it will it be able to be implemented once and for all??

Congrats to Wisconsin.

Illinois is one step closer to CCW but thanks to our governor Quinn it will probably come about through a tooth and nail legal battle.

Here in Texas we had Gov. Ann Richards do that. Next place you see her after the following election is making Doritos Commercials on TV.

Two reasons:

#1 Madison WI
#2 Milwaukee WI

Thank god unlike Chicago and Illinois, the people living in more rural areas of the state have the power to outweigh those dwelling in the major cities.

Correct. As a native of Wisconsin, we've wanted CC rights for quite some time. The last governor (Doyle-D) vetoed it twice.

We do have open carry, but few people do. I think CC is a better way. Besides, the city of Milwaukee threatened to harrass people who open carry anyway.

It's about time. Let's get this signed into law Scott Walker! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Night: I love Wisconsin, my family has property up there that I do not get to near often enough. If only the Walworth Co. Sheriff didn’t respond to the whims of our crazy neighbor who insists we are shooting at his horses every time he hears a gunshot I'm sure I would be up there target shooting every weekend.

Latest rumor has it that the Governor will sign the bill on July 8th. Supposed to be a big party (according to an NRA insider).

I emailed back and forth to our representative and he said that Walker will sign the bill next week. Very probably 7/8 to milk all the political mileage out of it.

That puts the earliest date for getting a CC in October, probably November but nearly certainly done by Christmas. Ho Ho Ho -- merry Christmas! Here's your CC permit little Johnny!

Al Norris said:
Latest rumor has it that the Governor will sign the bill on July 8th. Supposed to be a big party (according to an NRA insider).

The rumors were true. I was lucky enough to receive an invite to the event. Was just a few feet from the desk. It was an impressive ceremony.

IMG02041-20110708-1441.jpg

IMG02046-20110708-1450.jpg

IMG02056-20110708-1458.jpg

Gadzooks!

The Brady's are going to have heart attacks! What with those kids standing so close to that Pro-Gun Bill being signed... Think of the children, would ya please?!

Back