Winter shirts for concealed carry

TomNJVA

Having recently moved from New Jersey (ugh) to the mountains of southwestern Virginia, I finally have some handguns and have begun to carry concealed. I had no problem in the warm weather, even carrying my fat SP101 OWB, because I have a lot of tailless short sleeve shirts that look good untucked and cover well. My issue as the weather cools is that all of my long sleeve shirts have tails and look tacky untucked. So far I have not been able to find tailless long sleeve shirts.

So long as I am wearing a coat I have no problem, but when I take the coat off, say in a restaurant, office, or theater I am now showing. Even though we are an open carry state I would rather stay concealed. So I am looking for other options that would cover and not be too warm when indoors.

My wife suggested a sweater or sweater vest which sounds pretty good if light enough. I would like something more stylish than denim, perhaps a nice leather vest may work. I am wondering what others here wear for cover in the winter when the coat comes off.

TomNJVA

I have several of those "quilted shirts". They do a good job of both covering & hiding printing through, much better than cotton or flannel.

Eddie Bauer - and others - make a number of vests in Tall sizes that give you a little more fabric for concealment...and they're in a number of high tech fabrics that breathe.

A seamstress...can change the tails on a shirt easily ...and its not expensive ( I think they call it "surging"...where it cuts it and sews the seam at the same time ../ or at least I bought a surger for my wife a few yrs ago, and I think that is what it does )...

DXL ...specializes in clothes for big guys / and since I'm built like a "buffalo" its where I shop for Tall and larger sizes.. I'm only 6'5" and 290 or so -- but they have a lot of options for golf or active wear in my size and bigger...and they have an online store as well...

The best "shirt" to cover your gun for concealed carry is called, "pocket carry" as in a M36 S&W and an inexpensive, but very effective Bianchi pocket holster. As a matter of fact, I carry this combo in my right had pocket year around. It does not print in my cargo shorts or in my cargo pants. It does not flop around when I walk. I would not carry any other way.
001-1.jpg

003.jpg

I opt for a leather vest, from your nearest western store, or order from Shepler's or Drysdales. These are comfortable for me even in the summer time, as temps here seldon exceed 100 degrees.

This one is in tan leather, but I have a selection of brown and tan smooth leather and sueded. Also try the tall size, as it will cover more. This one lets my holster show a little, but its dark leather and is not too conspicuous.

Bob Wright

The untuckits look good but dang, $80-100 per?!? I got 4 of those LAPG shirts and 2 pair of pants for less than a c note.

I wear vests a lot. If anyone asks, my excuse is that I need the pockets.

Depending on where you're going and how informal you want or need to be, in cool weather I often wear a button-down oxford shirt buttoned and tucked, and then I throw a denim or flannel shirt (with tail) over that and wear it unbuttoned -- sort of a long-sleeved vest. Same excuse: "I need the extra pockets."

This one is in tan leather, but I have a selection of brown and tan smooth leather and sueded. Also try the tall size, as it will cover more. This one lets my holster show a little, but its dark leather and is not too conspicuous.

Bob, with all due respect, your outfit is great, but the revolver is quite conspicuous.

Tom, I would suggest you look at a couple of medium to heavy weight chamois flannel shirts along with learning to dress down into tails out on the outer layer. I wear these like a jacket over a Tshirt and sometimes a Tshirt/polo combo. Money talks with heavier flannels, especially if you have a long reach, look for Lands End, Am Eagle etc, to keep the sleeves the right length after washing.

j357 said:
Bob, with all due respect, your outfit is great, but the revolver is quite conspicuous.

I've looked and looked at that photo, still have yet to see my revolver. My holster is showing, but no gun is in sight.

Bob Wright

I have a tailless Woolrich Shirt Jac that works well for three season -- fall, winter, and spring -- here in the Pacific NW. It is a canvas-type cotton with a flannel lining, but as cotton is rotten out here, one with a fleece lining would be better.

Thanks all for your helpful suggestions! I'll start shopping online as soon as I get back from vacation. Also I will be buying a much smaller and lighter carry gun, a SCCY CPX-2, which should help with concealment.

TomNJVA

Also look at Motorcycle jackets, most have quick-open internal pockets,
and outer pockets you could easily drop a SCCY into ;)

And Use a Pocket Holster, two reasons...
Dust Bunnies & other FOD...
Even if you do print a little, holster masks what it is, other than "Something" in yer pocket.

Back