Wing master 870 question

smooth

This^^^. Yes, good advice.
If all that your son-in-law wants to do is hunt deer then the rifled barrel option is probably the way to go.
The smoothbore is, however, WAY more versatile.
My son's first SG was a rifle sighted smoothbore. He could keep all his slugs in a six inch group at 100 yards using the iron sights. Quite good enough for deer.
Twenty-five years later, he still has that gun and about a bazillion adapters for it. He uses it for deer, small game, hogs, etc.
Pete

It all depends. If this is a one-time hunt in thick brush, I would just buy a box of rifled slugs (or 00 Buck if legal in your area) and use the smooth bore it already has.

If this is going to be a regular thing at short ranges, I would choose a smooth bore, rifle sight barrel and use rifled slugs. For longer ranges, I would get a cantilevered scope mount rifled barrel and use sabot slugs.

I don't know what your land is like so I don't know your ranges. A lot of folks think the south is all brush but we've also got lots of fields, clear cuts and power lines. 150 yds is nothing around here and that's about the limit for shotguns.

A lot of folks think the south is all brush but we've also got lots of fields, clear cuts and power lines. 150 yds is nothing around here and that's about the limit for shotguns.

And why Kenny Jarrett developed his "beanfield rifles".....;)

Back