Winchester XPR Sporter

So I loaded up 20 rounds of 78.8 grains of Reloder 26 with the 180 grain Sierra SBT. SD erased the flat spot in the ladder tests. Still shoots sub MOA, avg velocity was 3175 fps. SD was 14, ES 40 fps. Out of the string only 2 rounds we're the outliers. Those. 2 rounds made for my high and low velocity shots. This isn't a rifle I will be shooting every outing. And it's primary purpose is hunting. I feel like these results are fine for a hunting cartridge.

I do have 5 pounds of Reloder 25 powder I might try with this rifle. Although for a hunting rifle I think that this load will work just fine.

Also considering the velocity I am able to achieve with this Barrel without signs of pressure. I may just buy some 200+ grain bullets to try with this rifle. I figure a 220 grain bullet around 2900 should be killer.

I cleaned this rifle thoroughly today. I was very surprised at the amount of copper that came out of the bore. I am about 100 rounds in with this rifle. 70 of which were factory Remington core lokt ammunition. I remember r being told once that regular core lokt bullets are jacketed with pure copper and not gliding metal.

I am thinking that maybe the reason I have been getting such excellent velocity and marginal accuracy. From my handloads was because of the copper build up. We will see. I am gonna test some known loads for velocity now that the barrel is cleaned down to the steel. I clean carbon fouling after every range trip.

Should be interesting to see if I lose velocity after cleaning. Up to this point my loads have gained velocity every range trip, but each of the trips was about 10 degrees earmr than the previous trips

Well, I can tell you this. After cleaning the fouling out completely. This rifle didn't shoot worth a damn. Lol. Now just shooting to be able to foul it back up

After re fouling the bore. And messing with seating depth. I have finished load work up for the 300 win mag. A 200 grain ELDx at 3054 fps avg should do nicely. And the load will put 5 shots into less than an inch.

I like this rifle enough that I decided to buy another Winchester XPR Sporter. This time in 6.5 Creedmoor. The new Creedmoor has an even nicer stock that the 300 did.

Over all for the XPR rifle line. They would be my low cost rifle option preference. My xpr with a nice Walnut atock only costed $125 more that a Savage axis xp kit. Although I also had to purchase optics

The MOA trigger is easily better than the Trigger on the Ruger rifles. And definitely competes with the Accutrigger. I probably prefer this trigger to the Accutrigger that comes standard on hunting rifles. The reason being that both of my triggers break between 2.5-3 pounds right out of the box. They are super crisp with no noticeable movement before or after the shot.

Definitely a rifle I would recommend. I will post accuracy update of the 6.5 Creedmoor next weeknsometime

Well, I can tell you this. After cleaning the fouling out completely. This rifle didn't shoot worth a damn. Lol. Now just shooting to be able to foul it back up
That's weird. My xpr is a 270 Win and it's accuracy goes down hill quick as it gets fouled. All barrels are different though.

Back