Winchester XPR Sporter

kilotanker22

So recently I ordered a Winchester XPR Sporter. In 300 Win Mag. Been wanting one for awhile. This thread will serve as an informational thread. As well as sort of a review thread. I know when I started looking for info. Good information and actual reviews of this model were scarce. Across several forms of media. So I figure this thread can serve as an example off one piece for those who are interested.

This is the version with a Grade one walnut stock. The stock is nothing special really. It doesn't have much figure, but the walnut is very nice and clean. With no noticeable defects in the wood. I personally am a big fan of straight grained walnut. Finish is your standard satin finish executed perfectly. The only flaw I could find was in the fitting of the recoil pad. It was good, but not really. Nothing wrong with it, but the fitting could have been better. (Not bad for a walnut gun less than $500!?)
Action fit to stock is tight and clean. And the barrel channel is even, with plenty of space for the floated barrel.

The action and barrel are matte, but it certainly doesn't look like Blue. Must be some other type of finish. Looks pretty good though.
The rifle carries a magnum Sporter weight 26 inch barrel. Recessed crown.

Bolt is super smooth. And the trigger is excellent. (No surprise there) lock up feels very solid and has no wiggle when locked into place.

These rifles (According to Winchester) ship with 2 detachable box magazines; however mine only came with 1. I am sure Winchester will send me one when I call them.

The rifle appears to be very clean already. I don't really see any of the normal Grease bath you normally see with a new gun. Over all, I am satisfied so far.

I won't have a chance to shoot it for a week or two, but I will update this thread with more information as I aquire it. I will post about the rifle's accuracy and what not. As well as any pros or cons I come up with as I shoot it more.

Overall it's a nice Walnut gun for about $500. If I had to compare the Walnut to another gun. I would probably compare it to a Remington 700 CDL. Very similar quality of wood. It's nicer than the model 700 classic rifles I have seen. Pretty nice stock for the money.

Does not come with bases like some rifles. So you will need to buy bases and rings. This is a hunting gun for me. I won't be doing a whole lot of ultra precise style shooting with it. So for Bases and rings I am using Weaver bases. And Weaver Quad lock rings. (like $40 for both). Gonna put a Vortex 4-12on it.

All together for rifle, scope, dies, rings, bases, a box of bullets and a pound of powder came to just over $800.

If anyone has any questions about these rifles feel free to ask. And I will answer to the best of my ability. I will have a better feel for the rifle after I start shooting it in a week or two. (Have to finish load work up for 3 other rifles first.)

I don't need another rifle, but that one does interest me. The ones I've seen and handled look pretty good for an inexpensive rifle. I've not seen one in anything other than a synthetic stock. And like you I've not read a lot about them either way. Keep up posted, I think this one has a lot of potential.

I haven't seen one with a wood stock yet.
I handled a couple with the synthetic stock. Just didn't feel/fit me right.

I am hoping I can get my 7mm rem mag load development finished this weekend. And I will start the 300 win mag load development next week sometime. And get to shoot it the following week.

I plan to use 180 grain cup and core bullets. Or the 178 grain ELDx and H-1000 to start with. Maybe the 200 grain ELDx it Sierra Game king

I have one in .270 Winchester. It is a half minute 5 shot rifle. It is also ugly as Whoopi Goldberg.

Last edited:
So I will be shooting this rifle for the first time tomorrow. So today before I leave for work I decided to remove the barreled action from the stock and see how the in-letting was as well as to clean it up and stuff before firing.

What I found was a bit of a surprise. I found that the recoil lug area was Glass bedded. There is also a very thin layer of glass that spans the length of the action. Almost clear in appearance from being so thin. The fit was pretty tight and it showed no movement once put together. Before the action screws were replaced.

The bottom metal is made of some hard polymer, but fit was also very tight to the stock.

Magazine insertion is superb. It slides in and clicks effortlessly. It also doesn't rattle much. When removing the magazine it pops right out easily and quickly.

Magazine length for this rifle is 3.437". And I chose some Sierra 180 grain Gamekings as the bullet I am gonna load for it. With this bullet loaded to magazine length I am .058" from the lands. I would like a little shorter of a throat, but its all good. It should still shoot good with that jump. Although with the throat length of this rifle I will likely not choose any of the low drag bullet options, because I would end up being a long way from the lands loaded at mag-length.

The trigger is nice. (No surprise) It uses the same MOA trigger as the Model 70. Although instead of steel being the trigger material it is a polymer of some sort. I don't think that will raise any issues. I was going to adjust the trigger, but as it is from the factory it is breaking right at 50 OZ. So 3 pounds and 2 oz. I will just leave it where it is at.

With That 26 inch barrel and a 4-12 power Vortex I thought that the rifle would weight more than it does, but it comes in at 8.3 pounds all set up. Thats literally perfect in my opinion for a hunting rifle. It doesnt weigh much so recoil will probably be pretty stout, but I have no doubt it will be manageable.

I bought some Remington corelokt ammunition. I did this so I could harvest the fire formed brass to reload. So the range trip tomorrow will only consist of factory ammo. I will update this thread as I acquire more info.

Went to the range today. I fored 2 boxes of Remington Corlokt 180 grain so I have fire formed brass. Also to see how it digests factory ammo. And I was pleased. It shot well enough with cheap factory ammo. That I am excited to load for it. I sighted it in to a good enough zero for now. Plinked around with the rest of that box of ammo. To foul the barrel before I fired a set of 3 3 round groups. And then fired the last 10 shots over the chronograph.

The 11 shots Over the chronograph yielded an average velocity just 15 fps shy of advertised velocity. Average was 2945, advertised was 2960. What suprised me was the SD of only 7 FPS for cheap factory ammo. Maybe just luck, but impressed none the less.

Now come the groups. Each of the 3, 3 round groups were under an inch. And 2 of them were very nice for a sporter weight 300 Winchester Magnum.

Recoil was stout as expected from this cartridge, but pretty decent. The inflex recoil pad does an excellent job of directing the recoil to the appropriate part of the shoulder. As well as away from the face.

Over all I am very happy with this purchase. I am sure this will prove to be an excellent meat getter. And hopefully I can get it to shoot even better with some 180 grain Sierra SBT.

Forgot to attach the images to my last post.

Attachments

• 180 corlokt 2.jpg
    180 corlokt 2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 117
  • corelokt 3.jpg
    corelokt 3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 180 corlokt 1.jpg
    180 corlokt 1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 103
I have been very interested in the XPR. I have not had the chance to fondle one yet as my local gun store does not have them on the shelf. Glad to see it is a shooter. How was the trigger?

Trigger is good. It's the same trigger that is in the model 70.

It breaks real clean. And is light enough I am not gonna bother adjusting it.

Loaded up 2 ladder tests last night. 1 test with 180 grain Sierra SBT. The other test with 165 grain Sierra HPBT Game King. Both tests with Reloder 26.

I stayed a little way from max load, cause I am not looking for the maximum velocity. I am looking for 3100-3150 with the 165 grain and 2950-3050 with the 180. I feel like I should be able to get these velocities without much trouble

Good news on the trigger. Is it easy to adjust if you wanted to? I am also very interested in the 165 gr Sierras.

Good news on the trigger. Is it easy to adjust if you wanted to? I am also very interested in the 165 gr Sierras.
I have used this bullet before with several cartridges. Always with excellent accuracy. The cartridges I have loaded it in in the past include 30-06, 300 win mag, 270 wsm, 270 win.. I have never shot game with this bullet though. Sierra says it is tougher than the Gameking.

They also say that the 180 grain Gameking is built tougher than others, but I don't know. All I know is that Sierras always seem to shoot well.

The downer with the 165 HPBT Game King is the BC is like .363. But inside 400 yards that wont matter much.

Yes the trigger is pretty easy to adjust. You have to remove the stock. Then there is one screw to the front of the trigger to adjust weight. I suspect you wouldn't need to adjust. Based on how this one is breaking.

Back