Winchester “White Box” 9mm 115gr JHP in Clear Ballistics gel.

I will not pay a dollar or more for a round of ammo.
It always amaxed me the extent to which people will go to save an hour of overtime at McDonald's worth of money, and the ease with which many seem to spend it a moment later. I'd rather own good pistol with the best available ammo than a safe full of queens and cheap ammo in my gun.

Oh boy we're splitting hairs again. I don't give a rat's butt if the ammo looks very pretty when its pulled from someone I have to shoot. I want it to expand and perform. Paying over 1usd a round doesn't magically make that happen and from all testing I've seen some of these 30cent per round hollow points work great, in more than a few cases better than the whiz bang crap. Some of the cheap hollow points (like IMI) don't seem to work so great.
I like the idea of buying boxes of 50 jhp's and shooting a couple mag fulls at the range instead of needing to burn a box of that expensive stuff per test mag.

It always amaxed me the extent to which people will go to save an hour of overtime at McDonald's worth of money,

I personally like being amaxed, whatever that is. A bad day at work for me is to just clear $250. A good day is to clear $3,000. I am an insurance adjuster and working hurricane claims pays an amazing amount of money. But I have been broke enough times in the past that I don't throw my money away on gimmick ammo.;)

And just because a bullet expands doesn't mean its the deadliest round on the block. Just remember over expansion was blamed for the failure of the Miami shootout.

5Pins, Great post...especially the actual vs advertised chrono data and expansion info. WWB sounds like good carry ammunition for those that don't want to pay the price of boutique SD rounds. Plus it's good for extended practice, and the added assurance that your carry ammo is malfunction free. Ratshooter has it right. Rod

For not a whole lot more money you can get Federal HST in boxes of 50.

I'm not above lower prices. I think I have the WWB 147s in my CZ right now.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I don't what else you could ask for in a hollow point bullet than what you got out of the WB ammo you did the test on. Looks like good stuff to me at a price anyone could afford to practice with. Practice is just as important as the bullet. Maybe more so.

Just remember over expansion was blamed for the failure of the Miami shootout.
That is a gross over simplification concerning ammunition that probably isn't on the market in the same form today.

These rounds are right at the FBI minimum. What does that mean? I'm not really sure anyone knows b/c the standard dpoesn't seem to be based on any scientific. It is important to remember 12 inches in ballistic gel is not the same as 12 inches in anything they would normally be shot at in a defensive situation.

Nitpicking obvious typos... enjoy to your hearts content.

Just having fun with your typing mistake. I make them myself and don't always catch them in time to edit and correct. Of course I knew what you meant. No offense intended.:D

And I don't blame the Silvertip round for the failure of the Miami shootout. I blame arrogant, sloppy work on the part of the FBI. They had better guns but just assumed they wouldn't need them so they went to a gun fight with snubs and guns that fell off of car seats and couldn't be found. They should have let the highly trained and properly armed street cops make the arrest. Maybe everyone would still be alive today. At least the the law enforcement guys.

And I put no faith or reliance on anything the FBI list as needed for defensive ammunition. The FBI reminds me of a bunch of twelve year old girls that can't figure out which boy to like this week. They are so wishy washy on calibers and ammo performance.

Last edited:
I've seen similar results with the Remington 115gr budget HPs.
Thanks for taking the time to test some of the lesser valued SD ammo.

Back