Winchester model 94 in 30-30 cal ?

Hawg Haggen Personally I wouldn't waste good money on an angle eject but then I wouldn't put a scope on a lever action anyway. The receivers on 70's guns were iron plated making touch up or cold bluing a no go situation.

Scopes on my leverguns never have looked right to me either - that's why I mounted Williams FP rear sight aperture signts on mine - and remove the aperture making it a ghost ring sight - the only one that needed D/T was the 95 -

IMG_1494_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Right now I'm doing good with full buckhorns. I may have to go to rear mounts or tang sights but I'll put it off as long as possible.

buckhorn.jpg

The pros are that there are about 7 million of them out there. They can't be THAT bad if 7 million other folks bought them.

The cons are that it takes a bit of skill to shoot with one and hunt with it. First off the sights are irons and today's shooters/hunters seem to constantly push optics. I admit it, I have optics on my bolts also but I shoot peeps and opens on my levers. Just easier to sight and carry.

The other con today is that the 30/30 94 is not a 400 yard "bean field" rifle. It will not give you bragging groups of under 0.1" at 100 yrds off the bench. It is not the gun to shoot across canyons for that spectacular 800 yrds one shot elk hit. But if you are a hunter and can work your way up to say under 150 yrds or preferably under 75 yrds, then it is a great handy rifle that is very easy to carry, adequate power for the job and easy to crawl through the brush with.

While I hate to come off as a luddite, I feel that in my lifetime hunters have morphed to shooters/snipers that seem to pride themselves on longer shots with bigger and bigger guns. When i started hunting, my upbringing stressed skill and stealth to reduce the distance to the target to where the 30/30 was a reasonable choice. Maybe that is because it is what we had and we realized the limits or maybe it was just a different time and skill in the forest was valued more than today. I am not sure, it was a long time ago.

Long story short, while I own a Sendero rifle (25/06) and I own bolts, by choice I hunt with a 30/30 94 with a peep unless the circumstances preclude it. For example, sendero feeder hunting common here in texas works against a 30/30 in many cases.

The 94 Winchester stood the test of time being produced for more than 100 years. Its American "death" was caused largely by failure of Management vs Organized Labor to negotiate a critical contract.

The 94 can take a lot of neglect and abuse yet still deliver bullets right on target every time.

Although the 30-30 is considered a deer cartridge, I've found it to be quite lethal on larger animals as well. I'm certain that 30-30 carbines will continue to be popular for several decades yet to come.

Jack

DSC01167.jpg

Pro: Durable, reliable. Pre-64 instances are collectable, some rifle (vs. carbine) models very much so. Post-1964 changes to cheapen the rifle were not well received at first. The carbine variants are handy, quick rifles which worked to take snap-shots on game up to elk (if at close range). Had a very flat side profile, which made it work well as a rifle in a scabbard on horseback or behind the seat of a pickup.

Cons: Tricky to completely strip for cleaning. Accuracy was only OK compared to bolt guns. Post-1964 models aren't anywhere nearly as sought after. Has the same cons as other tube magazine center-fire rifles - no pointed bullets. The modern safety additions to the 94 are an abomination. Pre-64 variants should be studied closely as there are several large changes from 1894 to 1964 in things like the metal composition of the receiver, the type of metal finish used at the factory, heat treatment of receivers, etc.

There were about 2.6 million examples produced prior to the 1964 change-over, and 7 million post-64 produced.

While I hate to come off as a luddite, I feel that in my lifetime hunters have morphed to shooters/snipers that seem to pride themselves on longer shots with bigger and bigger guns. When i started hunting, my upbringing stressed skill and stealth to reduce the distance to the target to where the 30/30 was a reasonable choice. Maybe that is because it is what we had and we realized the limits or maybe it was just a different time and skill in the forest was valued more than today. I am not sure, it was a long time ago.

I was just the opposite. I grew up hunting across bean fields where if you couldn't make a 300 yard shot you best stay home. Getting close was out of the question. I had a 94 30-30 as a teen but it was just a back yard plinker. I moved away from there about 12 years ago and had to learn how to woods hunt because I'd only ever done it a few times growing up. Now my trusty old scoped 30-06 hardly ever gets used and my 30-30 has most favored status next to my .54 Hawken.

Back