Winchester Model 70

Well, fourbore, Tom Turpin wrote the article in 2014, but I didn't see if he is related to the Winchesters. A gun rag writer can get away with almost anything, but the title of the article says 270 Winchester, not 270 WCF. One article writer does not convince anyone but you, so better luck next time. Not to sound or be snarky or to piss anyone off, I have never heard or read anything reputable stating that the official name is anything but 270 Winchester. I guess we should dig thru some more internet searching. And we all know that the internet does not produce false information.

That is a beauty of a gun posted by musicmatty.

I,ll have the barrel stamped .264 WCF as I don,t want any future owner getting the wrong shells for it. only a total newbi would have trouble with .270 Winchester-.270WCF ,IMHO.

I’ve had a hard time finding a model 70. My local Gunshop says it’ll be march before they’re back in stock. Guess it’s time to check gunbroker.

I,ll have the barrel stamped .264 WCF
I hope you're being facetious. That would confuse everybody. There never was a 264 WCF. The 264 Winchester Magnum was introduced in 1963, long after Winchester dropped the WCF designation.

You can find them. Expect to pay a fair price....few deals out there. Ideally, I would like a Winchester 70 classic in 06 bolt face and mag box. Willing to take on pretty beat up on the wood/broken stock, but they are hard to find.

Things I like about M70’s:
Generally smooth actions out of the box
Low bolt lift
Easy to increase oal
Feed well, generally
Texture about ideal on bolt handle
Generally good wood
Nice weight in Sporter or Super Grade
Gunsmiths know them

Back