Winchester model 70 Recoil

Featherweight was designed as lightweight hunting rifle. It's enoyable to carry, shooting it from the bench is another story.

True 50 years ago, but at 7 lbs. the Winchester Featherweight is a featherweight in name only compared to most rifles today. Put it on some scales and I'll bet it is heavier than the Remingtons you have, about the same as a Ruger in a factory synthetic stock.

Recoil effects different folks differently and it is often more between the ears than anywhere else. While it has the "Featherweight" name stamped on it they are actually a bit on the heavy side compared to most rifles made today. With a scope and mounts you are right at 8 lbs all up. That is about as much as I'd want a hunting rifle to weigh. I cannot explain why you think it kicks's hard. I've several Featherweights as well as several rifles considerably lighter that are quite pleasant to shoot in 30-06 caliber and even larger. The new hi-tech recoil pads make even lightweight magnum rifles tame.

I understand the weight is 7 lb but I do know recoil and this rifle kicks more than my Remington and my Ruger plain and simple. I think it is the stock personally as the 7 mag model 70 was really bad that my son had

What is your body shape?

Close your eyes. Draw the rifle. Then think about a few things when you open your eyes.

Does the heel fill the entirety of your shoulder area, or is the bottom tip of the heel in contact with your collar bone area?

Do you crane your neck down to when looking through the scope? Can you hold it more than 30 seconds without feeling sore in this position?

Straightline standard stocks are not the best factor when it comes to reducing recoil, ALOT depends on the fit. I bought an xbolt with the same dimensions stockwise to your featherweight and really loved the gun. It was in 280, so not a punishing round, but it hurt like he11 to shoot the rifle because I have sloping shoulders, a long neck and high cheek bones. This put me into a weatherby style stock with the heel drop around 1 1/2 inches. What a world of difference! Also, raising your rings to skyscraper heights will not help because you won't have a cheekweld and your consistency will suffer.

If the above circumstances apply to you, check out the mcmillan stocks for your model 70, they have models with greater heel drops or other dimensions that might better suit you. Keep that model 70, they are excellent rifles.

Just a thought, best of luck!

I was just about to search for a new pad for my Mod 70 in .300 Win Mag. I went thru a box last fall, and had major bruising.

Try changing the heel angle

Get in touch with a stock maker, ask him to change the heel angle to help with recoil. As well, if the rake on the stock is positive (the stock is higher at the comb than the heel) youre going to feel alot more recoil because the stock is transferring it directly to your face.

If the stock is wooden, these fixes are easy, and any stockmaker could accomodate. If you want you can get a fiberglass stock and have it properly fitted. A well fitted stock can make almost any rifle feel like a kitten compared to how it kicked before you had it fitted.

If you like the rifle stocked as is and want to keep it that way spend 150 bucks and put a muzzle brake on it. Then a 6 year old girl will love shooting it all day long. Added weight a few ounces, not pounds.:D

I slso have a Winny F/W in '06. I will agree the thing boots. My F/W shoots very well and is my favorite hunting rifle. The ease of carry with a light rifle just makes the walking nore enjoyable. The recoil has NOT been an issue when an animal was in the cross hairs. I learned to shoot through the recoil when on the bench.

I have 3 new FN made model 70's. A supergrade in 300 WM that has surprisingly little felt recoil when shooting factory 150 grain Winchester power Max ammo for deer hunting, a featherweight in 270 that is my main deer go-to rifle, and an extreme weather in 7mm-08 for when the weather is nasty during deer season or when i want to walk and stalk since the extreme weather is very light compared to the supergrade or even the featherweight. All the new m70's come with pachmayr decellerator pads and they work awesome absorbing the recoil. I do want to buy a "classic" looking orange Winchester recoil pad for my featherweight. The matte stainless barrel and receiver contrasts beautifully against the almost cherry wood looking walnut stock and i think with the orange pad it'll be even nicer.

I don't want to sound like a snob, but please ... a 30'06 that kicks, regardless of the weight... GEEEEEEEeeeeeeeezzzzzzz

Buy an air rifle!

You might look at your state of fitness. Some "Pumping Iron" and a general fitness/strength building program does a lot to tame recoil and "kick."

I don't want to sound like a snob, but please ... a 30'06 that kicks, regardless of the weight... GEEEEEEEeeeeeeeezzzzzzz

WildBill45, Before you pss judgement may I suggest you rake a 6 3/4 pound '06 and then tell me there is no recoil. My 300 H&H is a pussycat compaired to the F/W '06.

Thanks Tim_R I know from owning and shooting several 30-06 rifles that the Winchester F/W kicks the hardest it is like a 300 Win Mag. People who say otherwise need to shoot one before passing judgement. I have already sold it and just use my Remington 270 XCR which is nearly as light but a whole easier to shoot and more accurate even without recoil.
roc1

Back