Winchester Model 70 Question

Another for the .270. "Model 70 .270" just seems to fall more trippingly from the tongue :). But seriously, can't go wrong with either. Whoever said, to paraphrase, "if you had one you'd then want the other" had it about right. Although, as stated the .270 was born with the 54, it just seems to be associated very strongly with the 70. But then again, so is the '06....and so it goes!

If it was to be your only rifle, I'd say the 30-06. But if you already have something bigger, get the .270 WCF.

It's THE cartridge for the model 70.

The late great Col. Townsend Whelen once said, "The 30-06 is never a mistake." I think if you're only planning to own one rilfe, I'd have to go along with that. For many years I could only afford one rifle and yup, it was a 30-06on a bubba 1917 Enfield. I sold it and bought a bubba'd 1903 Springfield. Later on a friend who could no longer thake the recoil of a 30-06 due to shoulder injuries, gave his custom J.C. Higgins M50 based on an FN Mauser action that he restocked himself. He passed awy a few years later but I still have that rifle.
Over the years I've picked up a few .270s and I like the round. I quit using 130 gr. bullets years ago and usually shoot the Sierra Game King or Nosler Partitions at 2950 FPS. I have found that, especially with 150 gr. bullets it's a lot easier to get a super accurate load with the .270 over the 30-06. For the 06, I use 180 gr. Sierra Pro-hunters or Nosler Partitions.
As far as which one you should go with? Flip a coin. Eigther way you can't lose. ;)
Paul B.

I think I read in Fjestad that the most common chambering for the pre-'64 Model 70s was the .30-'06, as far as "iconic". :)

I think I read in Fjestad that the most common chambering for the pre-'64 Model 70s was the .30-'06, as far as "iconic".

Correct, over half were this cal. Followed next by the 270. However, the 30-06 is much more common that the 270, by about 5 to 1.

as my previous post. i own 1 current model 70 (made in 79) and have owned 3 others. all are/were 30/06 with the expection of a nice supergrade in 300 win mag that I sold to a neighbor for way more than what it was worth, but that is what he offered to buy it for :p

while the 270 is a great round and the model 70 is a great gun I would say get it in 30/06.... also if you can lay your hands on a pre-64 in 30/06 that would be the best combo...

Back