Winchester Model 70 Question

PointOfAim

Inactive
so, I'm thinking of getting a Winchester M70 Super Grade... wish they had more calibers to choose from, but don't like the magnums so it's either the .270 Win or the .30-06 Spr... what would be the iconic M70 caliber choice of the two... I'd get one of each if I wouldn't end up in the dog house, you know how that goes...

There are virtually books on the "wars" between 270 Win and 30-06, volumes of text, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Considering how well either cartridge has done, you cannot lose with one over the other.

I personnally think the 270 Win is at its best with a 130 grain bullet at 3000 fps. You can push a 30-06 130 a little faster and the 30-06 will push bullets over 150 grains faster than a 270.

I have read articles where a writer built a bench rest rifle around a 270 Win. It shot exceptionally well. A 270 Win is a very accurate cartridge. The 30-06 will also shoot to an accuracy level that exceeds the capability of a hunting rifle.

The M70 will feed either well and the magazine capacity is the same.

The debate continues in this thread

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487963

Last edited:
Honestly, you don't need one of each. Either would be great, but I suppose that if you have no personal preference for one caliber over the other, the decision might be made by what it is you want to hunt. The bigger the critter, the more I'd lean toward the 30-06. Still, I'm a 270 fan.

If it were me I'd buy the .30-06 in a Supergrade or a .270 in a Featherweight. I'd probably ask these questions as well.

What rifles do you own and shoot already?

If you have a .270 already get the .30-06 or vice versa. No reason not to have both chamberings in the safe. Ammunition costs are about the same as well so if you already own one buy the other.

Do you plan to hunt with the rifle or just range time with it and if you plan to hunt what do you want to hunt with the rifle?

If you are just going to shoot it at the range get the .270, you probably aren't going to use it for a target rifle so bullet selection really won't play a big factor. A .270 shooting a 130 grain bullet recoils less than a 150 out of a .30-06 so it will be more pleasureable to shoot at the range. If you are mainly hunting up to deer sized game with an occasional elk again go with the .270. If game larger than deer are your main hunting choicle go with the .30-06.

you don't need one of each

Yeah you do, one would get lonely in the gun safe without the other.

I had a 257 & 270 in Featherweight, a 243, '06, 300 WM, and 375 H&H, all in Model 70.

But that don't mean I wont get another one if I get the chance.

The .270 was designed for the Model 54, the Model 70's daddy. It is a real good fit for the rifle. The .30-06 was designed for the 1903 Springfield the Model 70's granddaddy. It is also a real good fit.

Either cartridge is in the family and both cartridges will kill anything in North America.

I've used the .30-06 for 35 years give or take and never had any problem. If I'd started with the .270, I'd probably be saying the same thing about it.

I've used both cartridges for deer hunting, and they're as near equal as makes no nevermind. :)

However, the '06 was more of a family tradition, and I started handloading for it some sixty years back. The '06 is a good "meddling around" cartridge. A double-ought buck and five grains of pistol powder for a squirrel load; a lead gas-check and 20 or so grains of 2400 for a plinking load. And you can drive an 80-grain pistol bullet to near-4,000 ft/sec if you want to ruin jackrabbits.

06' can load it up or down to suit your fancy and will take anything on the continent.

.270 is a more limited range of bullets and cant get as heavy as the 06' .... plus if you ever head up north you will want 180gr or larger for moose, bear, musk ox, etc... i would want to carry an 06'...

i also do own a model 70 (circa 1979) in 30/06... great gun and great chambering... walnut stock, period correct pachymar pad, iron sights, beautiful bluing, and has warne bases and quick disconnect rings with a nikon monrach 3-9x40 BDC. .. great gun for anything and love the iron sights for the close shots or if something were to happen to my scope (i dropped a rifle during a mt goat hunt years ago and it landed right on the scope, rendering the scope in operable). didn't have iron sights and had to borrow the guides gun to make the shot.... lesson learned and I will always have iron sights on a hunting rifle and also quick disconnect or see thru sights so I can easily transition to the irons.

Another vote for the 270 Win. Both are iconic but the 270 is more in my mind. It brings back memories of reading Jack O'Connor articles and dreaming of hunts like his.

A 270 fan

I own a winchester model 70 (feather-weight) in .270 cal, I've had it for years and shot a ton of game with it. Frankly I would not part with it for a the tea in china. Being that said, you won't go wrong with either one, your money - your choice.

Alaska?

If you live in Alaska or plan to hunt there often in dangerous-Bear habitat; I think the 30-'06 would be the better choice because you can use 220 grain bullets. My Choice is 270 Winchester. It's the most classic cartridge you can have in a model 70 Winchester. In some respects it's better than an '06 but not totally so. I feel that the two cartridges have about a 75 to 80% overlap of equality. On the extreme ends of their spectrums they both will beat each other. Elk and smaller; 270 wins. Elk and larger; 30-'06 wins. Choose either one and you win. My 270's favorite load features a 150 grain Nosler Partition bullet hand-loaded to a sizzling 3,000 fps muzzle velocity.

I like my .270 WIN ...... 150gr SGK's @ 2900 .....

I'll get an -06 eventually ..... everybody should have a Garand, right?

I believe it was "Grits Gresham" that killed everything on the planet with a 270. Used to love to watch him on the hunting shows, now his son Tom is following in his footsteps.

so, I'm thinking of getting a Winchester M70 Super Grade... wish they had more calibers to choose from, but don't like the magnums so it's either the .270 Win or the .30-06 Spr... what would be the iconic M70 caliber choice of the two...

It doesn't matter which you get, just be sure its a pre 64 model ;)

People mention featherweights as an alternate (fwt) and well Winchester in the pre 64 days did make a featherweight/supergrade in both cals you mention. IIRC a fwt was 243 308 30-06 270 358 and later 264 win mag. The super grade was for any cal, so you could get a rifle that was a supergrade featherweight. Of course, you may have an easier time finding hen's teeth. On the plus side, these are great investments of course. I have yet to own a super grade but I want one. Of course I am referring to a pre 64 ones. The newer ones aren't as special to me.

I had a Supergrade in 270...It was from the first year that Classics from the New haven plant came out..I think in 92'....It was CRF....Beautiful rifle....
It was too pretty to shoot..so I sold to a friend....

Both Cartridges are equally good, but you asked what would be the Iconic chambering for a Winchester Model 70.
I would say in Honor of Jack O' Connor the .270 Winchester.

I would choose the Iconic first sniper rifle chambering for the infamous Carlos Hathcock of Tarheel fame: the great .30-06.

-7-;)

Back