Winchester Model 70 Black shadow

Hey don't worry about watching the news they don't depict what is really going on any way. They pick out the worst of every thing and throw it in the face of the american public.

US Armysniper,

I commend you for your service.

I have the newer Winchester Super Shadow and I have been very impressed. This has been an excellent rifle with nothing more than a trigger job and having the crown re-cut.

Charles

I'm knew to posting here but I usually just read the posts. I just spent an hour trying to find this story. This is really sad. u.s.armysniper, I'm really sorry about your friend and the rest of your squad. Running out of ammo sucks. I guess the only question I have to ask is when you said the women were directing fire in your direction, do your ROE's allow you to engage them as enemy combatants? Thanks again for just doing your job and keeping us safe.

Well during the first few months of the deployment our roe's were really lenient, we pretty much had free rain. There at the end it started getting really ridiculous and dumb real fast. There are two different reasons that we would engage, that is if the person or persons were commiting a hostile act like for example inplacing an Ied, shooting at us, civilians, and other security forces. And then you have hostile acts for example you have a check point set up and the car you tell to halt keeps moving at you at a high rate of speed. They might be innocent but in split second moments like that it is better him than you and your buddies. Now in sadr-city we were allowed to fire on the women, they are as much of a threat as the men and the young kids for that matter. but they were commiting a hostile act by directing fire on our position. and she had hostile intent by wanting us dead, so we had all the permission we needed as far as the roe's went and even if we wouldn't been able too it would have happened. Everyone has different inturpritations of them and that is mine, which I guess i did all right cause i didn't go to jail!

hey, u.s.armysniper, thanks for the reply. I just didn't know if the politicians sitting behind desks here were setting really restrictive ROE's or if they gave you guys the slack to do your jobs the proper way. Anyways, thanks again for your service to our country and sticking with it.

I guided for a "wheel" from the Pentagon in 2003. He had a new Winchester 70 Black Shadow in .270 with a plain but serviceable scope. We hunted a 10 square mile ranch in western Corson County. At approximately 125 yards he dropped a nice 3X3 muley with just one shot through the ribs. I'm not a big fan of bolt action rifles but seemed a like a keeper to me!
Jack

Military M24 rifles serviceability tests

Just so you really will know--the Army maintains ALL sniper systems issues to its troops in top notch shape. They are checked and ANY parts forund to be out of spec are replaced. Barrels are gauged and checked with great detail. Someone to have claimed to be an Army SNIPER should know better than to say otherwise. The armorers of the Ordinance units treat them like premadonna! So either you speak of a subject whicj you know nothing about and are just another "WAnna BE" that has never been a real Military Sniper or you are just trying to make your self look big! Either way you dont have a Darn CLUE as to what you are talking about.:D

I have a Win Model 70 in .270 which I bought on sale at Walmart. I have shot dime sized groups with stock, off the shelf at Walmart CoreLokt 130gr ammo. I have taken 4 hogs up to two hundred pounds. Glass is a Nikon 3-9X40 Buckmaster. My go to hunting rifle...

I have a 12-15(+?) year old Wal Mart or K Mart (I imagine; I got it used but like new at a pawn shop) Model 70 .270 along these lines. It too came complete with "plain but serviceable" small recticle 3x9 Simmons scope. Like I imagine a number of posters here, it has a satin/matte black treatment to the metal and the fore-stock checkering etched into the synthetic, with the famous script "W." It may have not been an expensive gun--I remember paying an appropriate $270 OTD--but it's exactly as described, the perfect field gun you never have to worry about , and it's a tack driver. I've just been lazy doing anything about the scope, but it's easily upgradable. And, I wish it had a floorplate, but "it is what it is" and with such features it wouldn't have been available as the bargain it was.

Last edited:
Black Shadow .270

Saw one at Wallyworld in 199o's, looked like the perfect all-weather hunting rifle. Debated over a month, whether to get the .30-06 or the .270. I had not had a .270 since back in the '80's and had given up on my .243 win.

Lots of deer (10), hogs and 2 coyotes later...I love my Black Shadow .270. (Note: it's not my only rifle) (but it sure is a good one)

I did pay $35 to have the trigger fixed, and I tossed the POS Simmons scope, that broke a reticule after 3 rds. Leupold 3x9 fixed that.

For a practically bullet-proof hunting rifle, better than MOA accuracy, and ammo available everywhere...I'd say go for it! I gave $407 for the rifle and $250 for a used Leupold...I have spent a lot more and got worse. No regrets!

Back