Winchester M70 Pre-64 vs. Ruger M77 Hawkeye

I've owned 4 or 5 pre '64 M70s in both standard rifle version and Featherweights and still have two; a 1952 '06 standard rifle and 1960 .270 FW, along with two newer M70 Featherweights. I have also owned many Ruger 77s over the years, still owning five at this time. The Ruger 77 is a very nice rifle, but simply not in the same class as a mint pre '64 M70. For someone to say a mint 1956 M70 is not collectible is silly. If you take some time to check online, you'd see them selling for a minimum of $1,000-$1,200 in that kind of condition. The last pre '64 I sold was two years ago and that 1954 FW version sold for over $1,600.

I prefer the FW version with 22" barrel, but if you have handled the 24" standard version and like it, buy it and enjoy hunting with the "Rifleman's Rifle". For the slight difference in price you've mentioned and having owned several examples of both rifles you've mentioned, IMHO the M70 is most definitely the way to go. Good Luck!

Last edited:
model 70

in a recent forum(not here) a seemingly experienced winchester expert responded to my question "kimber 84 vs mod 70" noting the current model 70's are the best winchester has ever made, and the pre '64 premium was not worth it.........what do you guys think??? for the record i bought a new 84 in 257 roberts.....awesome.....and several hundred $$ less than pre '64 mod 70.....thanks for the input!!!!!!

Its very subjective but there is a certain standard set by the pre 64 and it speaks for its self because the post 64 years were horible with cost cutting ideas. That said, the older pre64 was a no brainier in the 1990's before the latest SC M70 was developed. The late 1990's had a great improvement with the reintroduction of the claw extractor but it wasn't untill FN purchased Winchester and really stepped up the quality. Now the model 70 has had a great increase in build quality with materials used as well as advanced manufacturing. In other words, they are building the best rifle possible as their primary concern.

Last edited:
It is, however, a shame they are "building" them now in Portugal. I like my "Portugal" BAR, but I had thought the new M70 might stay a true American build. Oh well.....:(

QUOTE:
in a recent forum(not here) a seemingly experienced winchester expert responded to my question "kimber 84 vs mod 70" noting the current model 70's are the best winchester has ever made, and the pre '64 premium was not worth it.........what do you guys think??? for the record i bought a new 84 in 257 roberts.....awesome.....and several hundred $$ less than pre '64 mod 70.....thanks for the input!!!!!!

I've owned an example of a new Kimber M84, when they first came out several years ago. Nice rifle. Accuracy acceptable, but nothing to brag on. I found it stayed in the cabinet more that I'd hoped it would, so I sat down and did a piece to piece comparison between my M70 Featherweight Classic in 7/08 and that Kimber. The results kind of surprised me. On all levels the M70 Classic (late '90s gun) was a better rifle. Finish and smoothness of the bolt were not even close (advantage M70) and the accuracy was a toss-up, basically the same.

I still own that M70 and the Kimber is long gone. When I look at my pre '64 M70s, I can only say that their overall quality at least match my Classic. I simply looked and compared with all in my hands and with an open mind. After all, I'd already spent all the $$. ;)

I don't think that you can go wrong either way... But my personal preference is the Ruger main reason being that they are made in the U.S. Fine choice on the caliber also.. Can't go wrong with a .30 anything for hunting.

Although we have made comments about the new M70 now being assembled outside the U.S., I can assure you that all pre '64 Winchester M70s were made right here. :D

QUOTE:

I've owned an example of a new Kimber M84, when they first came out several years ago. Nice rifle. Accuracy acceptable, but nothing to brag on. I found it stayed in the cabinet more that I'd hoped it would, so I sat down and did a piece to piece comparison between my M70 Featherweight Classic in 7/08 and that Kimber. The results kind of surprised me. On all levels the M70 Classic (late '90s gun) was a better rifle. Finish and smoothness of the bolt were not even close (advantage M70) and the accuracy was a toss-up, basically the same.

I still own that M70 and the Kimber is long gone. When I look at my pre '64 M70s, I can only say that their overall quality at least match my Classic. I simply looked and compared with all in my hands and with an open mind. After all, I'd already spent all the $$. <---Quote from pilothunter.
===============================================

I have had M70's since 1957 and have number of them that were my go to longer range hunting rifles. When the 7mm WSM came out I just had to get one as I knew the belted rounds are second rate for handloading. That M70 had problems. The worst was that it's chamber was way out of round. However at first it shot well and it was my first SS/Syn. rifle. Then the accuracy went to pot and the dealer took it back and sent it to Winchester as they knew.

About that time Kimber came out with the 84M's and I wanted a lightweight anyway. I have had incredible good fortune with the Kimbers. I have a complete battery of hunting, target and schuetzen rifles. The Kimbers are my best shooting and functioning hunting rifles. Some of my customs have better wood! :)

The 308 Montana was checked a couple of days ago as the season is near. It's been a reliable rifle. Staying sighted in and groups as well. I fire just one shot from hunting rifle with a cold bore and record the bullets impact at the range it's sighted for. That 308 Montana put it's 155 Berger VLD right where it was wanted at 200 yds. The second comfirming shot touched the first! That rifle is all set. In fact it was all set! :)

The newest Kimber I have is the 7mm WSM Montana. I am shooting 140 Berger VLD's in it over H4350. This is one of the best shooting new rifles I have had out of the box.

From it's cold, hunting ready, barrel. It put it's first shot 1.5" high and 1.5" left at 200 yds. The second shot hit on elevation wise and 1.5" to the left. The wind was about 3 to 6K from the left. That rifles zero will be one inch high at 200 yds like other similar ones.

The 243, 7-08 and 270WSM are also very accurate and ready.

Last edited:
Here is how that 308 Montana stayed sighted in a couple of years ago!

003oep.jpg

QUOTE:
Here is how that 308 Montana stayed sighted in a couple of years ago!

I'll simply say that I'm happy that you're happy. I am as well.:D

I am in the camp that says everyone needs a pre-64 in their collection. Mine was made in 1950 chambered in 30-06. I shoot it regularly and it's one of my favorites. Love the action.

Question on the Portugal thing, is FN making all the parts and assembling them in Portugal, or are they making the parts in Belgium and doing the assembly in Portugal like they do with the Hi-Power?

(on another note, how many times can you say "Portugal" in the same sentence?)

Back