Winchester M70 22-250

When I had my Savage 112 FVS in.22-250, it doted on the Sierra 55gr BTHP[#1390 I believe], 35.0gr Varget, Win cases and CCI primers. Wonderfully accurate. I do not recall the twist. I'll look in my notes.
1 in 14 twist.

Last edited:
I never owned a 22-250 but did have a friend's her to fool with one time. I'd read that the ideal bullet for it was a 50gr bullet due to the twist. Well I had a couple old box's of Herter 52 gr match bullet's and decided to try them, hope's were not high. But they shot great in it, I was shocked. I stuck with 50gr bullet's and accuracy was always great with them. Never did try a heavier bullet.

Well, I tried all the fancy ammo was and wasn't impressed. However, I took it out yesterday to give it a second go with a variety of ammo to include an old box of Remington 55gr. Express Rifle someone gave me as they didn't have rifle any longer.

After checking it out at 25 yards, we went to 100 and my oldest cloverleaf three shots. Severely surprised, I asking him which ammo he used and it was the old Remington. Sure enough, the plain jane Remington is what this rifle likes.

I don't think Remington makes that exact ammo anymore, but they still sell something similar under a different name....can't wait to hit the range again.....

Jerry

Well, they still make the same ammo under a different name....Learned bout the code..... R222501.....that's what she likes....

I can tell you one thing about wood stocked Winchesters. They do not shoot worth a darn with the factory wood. I had 3 in different calibers that shot a lot better with Ramline or Hogue replacement stocks.

They do not shoot worth a darn with the factory wood.

I have a M70 circa 1971 in 30-06 that will shoot a 9/16" 10 shot group at 200 yds with handloads. It still has the original wood stock on it today.

Back