Winchester M54 270WCF S/N 59?????

I may get a period peep sight for it.

Great idea, this. I'm a big fan of hunting with receiver sights. Though I prefer the Williams peeps (mostly because I've used them since the early sixties and am very familiar with their usage), older Redfields or Lymans might be more "period".

Does the stock have any checkering on it?

dgludwig said:

No, and it is very rough as in sanded and maybe a coat or two of linseed oil if I had to guess....I don't know...the grain of the wood is very "open"....

Nunya

Last edited:
The reason I asked is that the stock on your rifle indeed looks to have a lot of "open" grain (to be kind). Personally, I'm not so hung up on everything staying so bone-stock original that I wouldn't think about doing a little refinishing on the stock. It looks like it could suck up a quart of linseed oil. :)

Your call, of course, but I am interested in seeing what you do with the rifle-if anything.

I'll keep this updated. I bought a 54 stock off eBay yesterday (not cheap) that I should have by the weekend.

Nunya

dgludwig said:

After closer inspection on the original stock, I can see slight traces of checkering on either side of the wrist but that's it.

Nunya

Back