Winchester M1917

While many shooters overlook the M1917 and focus on the more well known rifles from era; it's my personal favorite and I think the '17 in the best rifle of WW1.
I'm glad to have it in my collection

My ‘17s are stamped Winchester, Remington and Eddystone. My P14s are stamped ERA, others are stamped W with a star. I wonder if ERA and Eddystone Raritan Arsenal is the same arsenal.

F. Guffey

Eddystone Remington Arms, then there was Remington and Winchester.

My favorite? My favorite is the Remington, not the Eddystone, not the Winchester. There is an insistance the hole in the sight bridge must be filled. I do not agree.

The Eddystone has the hole, Winchester has the hole, and Remington does not have the hole.

F. Guffey

Whether the Model 1917 is ugly is a matter of taste. But the ugliness, if any, is not the fault of the American makers, as the Model 1917 is almost an exact copy of the British .303 Pattern 1914, which the American factories had been making for the British. And the Pattern 1914 is an almost exact copy of the Pattern 1913, which was a relatively short-lived rifle since the British didn't want to get caught in the middle of an ammunition change if war came - as it did.

The Pattern 1913 was made for the .276 Enfield, a fairly powerful cartridge with a large powder capacity due to its large base (.521" vs .470" for the .30-'06). The large magazine of the P-13 was needed for the large cartridge, and the magazine was carried over to the P-14 and Model 1917.

Jim

Whether the Model 1917 is ugly is a matter of taste.

I said I bid on and won an auction for a rifle that was voted the ‘Ugliest’, the auction started with “What was he thinking”. Then it got better, the information from the seller suggested it was possible to ask the builder because the builder included his driver license number across the top of the receiver.

I did not believe someone could build anything that ugly without knowing what they were doing, I bid on the auction for the sum of the parts or on an outside chance I was correct in believe he know more that the total sum of forum members that found nothing good to say about the rifle or the builder.

In an effort to waste time I ask members on reloading if they would consider holding down on the criticism until the auction was over. I did not want the attention on the forums to drive the price up. There is nothing like giving someone the chance to show some class, or a little class.

Anyhow there have been a few threads across several forums talking about bedded barrels; this barrel was bedded 360 degree for the length of the barrel and most of the receiver. I would go on but I am afraid a few members would get dizzy or pass out.

I took the rifle to the range with 12 different loads of 10 rounds each. Some of the groups moved but none of them opened up. I used 12 different case heads, different powders, and different bullets. Like I said, there is a chance the builder knew what he was doing.

$120.00 for a rifle that shoots 10 round groups that can be covered with a quarter. Then there is my Remington 03 stamped Santa Fe/national arms/Golden state. I almost sent that rifle home with my son and grandsons. Problem, I have an 03A4 barrel that is chambered to 308 Norma mag. Another problem, the Santa Fe can keep up with the ‘ugliest’, the Santa Fe does not have a scope.

F. Guffey

LOVE this gun. Excellent stopping power at close range. Accurate at long range. Can be sped reloaded with clips. The bayonet comes in handy in the trenches fighting off human wave attacks. Ammo can be found at Wal☆Mart. What's not to love?

IMA is a great resource. Not like it used to be, in 1985 I bought a dozen minty British and US bayonets from them for about $250. Then I had to get some more rifles to put them on, of course.

Back