Winchester-Lee Model 1895 6mm Navy Rifle

The last load data I see for the 6mm Lee Navy is by Phil Sharpe, ca 1937.
Except for light loads with Unique and 2400 the only powder still available that he shows loads for is 4064.

FWIW, the pressure given for the original 6mm Lee Navy is 43,000 psi, giving a MV of 2550 fps with a 112 grain bullet.

The heavier of Sharpe's two loads with 4064 gets 2540 fps. He shows some a little faster but at higher pressure with powders of the day.

Last edited:
FWIW, the pressure given for the original 6mm Lee Navy is 43,000 psi, giving a MV of 2550 fps with a 112 grain bullet. Actually, not too shabby for the time.

All .236 USN (rimmed case) and 6mm USN (rimless case) ammo was procured from contractors. The latter was used in the Winchester Lee Navy. The Navy had no small arms or ammunition production facilities and Frankford never made that caliber.

Jim

Wikipedia has a very well sourced article on the 6mm Lee Navy cartridge, including details on problems with the early powder causing severe barrel errosion and wide swings in pressure.

It also notes that Marines complained about the round's stopping power when used against Moros. Not surprising, considering that the Army also fielded complaints about the .30-40 Krag's stopping abilities against the Moros.

When the Navy final surplussed the rifles to Bannerman, it was found that the ammunition (loaded by Winchester and UMC) had deteoriated to such a point that it was unsaleable, and all of it was destroyed.

I have a military 6mm Lee Navy round in my collection. I'd better take a peek at it to make sure that it's not rotted to hell and back.

Per the Winchester Repeating Fire Arms letter the serial number was applied to the on July 22, 1898; Caliber: N; received in warehouse on August 12, 1898 and shipped from warehouse on August 20, 1898; Order number 2689. It just missed the Spanish-American War but may have served during the Relief of the Foreign Legations in Peking during the Boxer Rebellion in 1900 or during the Philippine Insurrection 1899-1902. I'll have to see if I can track down the USN or USMC ship/unit which eventually received this rifle.

Back