Winchester - is it made in Japan?

These questions and comments about Winchester rifles sounds a little like one about Mausers, not to mention M1 rifles, 1911 pistols, Lugers, and so on. Is a Mauser made by FN any better or worse than one made by Mauser in Germany or a Springfield made in the US? Or any different beyond the little details? When was the last Winchester lever action designed? Fifty years ago, or whenever the Model 88, I think it was, came out.

They might as well be done , trying to find a traditional model you want like a 1885 Low Wall or a model 1892 short rifle in 357 mag cal is like trying to find a needle in a haystack ! Besides , most places I've looked at Winchesters locally are asking the maximum MSRP price and not bargaining at all.....I'm glad I picked up a very nice 1886 extra light 45/70 years back before the prices soared ! Yes , the quality of the Miruko made 1886 is classier than my 1895 Marlin LTD V cowboy and the action is more fluidly smooth....however , the Marlin will shoot better groups with cast bullets ! :)

I've got a Stoeger Condor O/U that was made in Brazil... :D

Actually the best O/U for the $$$

Obviously not a Beretta or Browning...

FWIW, The Winchester 94 was made only in CT, up until the factory closed the doors there & discontinued the model in 2006.

"Winchester" only recently (last 2-3years) resurrected the Model 94, via having it made in Japan by Miroku & branded "Winchester".

Smoke & Mirrors.

As previously posted, re the Model 70, read what's stamped into the barrel - it will state either New Haven, CT or Columbia, SC, both of which are still in the USA (although I hear SC is in under duress ;) )

Actually the South Carolina made guns are stamped ___MADE IN USA, BACO INC. MORGAN UTAH___

BACO standing for Browing Arms Company and their corporate office is in Morgan Utah.

KY hunter...All model 70's are made in the states....Sounds like yours was made in New Haven....

Back