Winchester found in the Desert

made in 1912, the year of statehood for Arizona and New Mexico. used in one of the last American/Mexican/Indian fights. sounds like a good story to me.:D

That was about the time R.J Buckwheat and his Welch pony drovers were moving hogs from Iowa to Northern Colorado.

They had some trouble with a bunch of Artesians out of Washington.

The ponies made it easier to boot the hogs.

Lightning struck hogs was bad.They burn like a campfire marshmallow...smoke like a tire fire.

Of course,you know that brings company.....Lots of company.

The chuck wagon cook was handy....he figured out what to do with a hog fire,and leftover biscuits.He did have a lot of leftover biscuits.Later on,many years later,his family put those biscuits in green cans..sold them to the military.

And,You have to hand it to them Artesians....poor beer beats no beer.

No time a JuiceHarp and a harmonica come out,somebody found a drum,It was amazing what the wrangler could do with a bugle.

Turned out like the jam at the end of Ringo Starr's Caveman movie,except with pork and beer

Which brings us to how the rifle got broke,you remember how Raquel Welch was in that movie,well....(next...never let truth get in the way of a good story...its improv)

I kind of agree with Jim Keenan. The fact that the rifle was taken apart, would lead me to believe that something less than kosher happened with it. If you found it in the Arizona desert, it wouldn't surprise me at all. Lots of "things" went on in this state a hundred years ago.

I once picked up a small percussion pistol sticking up out of an old streambed near Glendo Wyoming. They must have trailed those hogs up the river in that area. I should go back there someday and see if there are any old teeth left laying around from the drovers trying to eat the green biscuits.

Back