Winchester 94AE Big Bore Question

Thanks montana, winchester really out did themselves with that one. Had it at the range a few days ago. Getting it ready for deer season.

VERY nice BB there Joe!

So, circa 1989 and no wart.. I'm guessing it has the rebounding hammer then?? In other words, it doesn't have the half-cock safety? The hammer is either down (but not touching the firing pin) or cocked and ready to fire..

Am in passion of a 375 win 94 xtr straight stock, no safety, top eject serial number starts with BB. NIB

Yes red ride 350, that's the way it works. I was a little off on when i bought it. I rechecked my sales receipt, and i bought it for my birthday on feb 1. But not 1989, it was 1990. So i was off a month on the year. I know they kept making changes during those years in the late 80's and early 90's. I think the cross bolt safeties started around 92 or so. To bad they didn't catch on they are fine rifles. I also reload for it.

Joe45c, I'm not saying that you're wrong, I may in fact be wrong on the timeline as I understand it.
My understanding is that production of the Big Bores ended in the mid to late 80s, why is it that you believe that yours was produced around 90, and that the cross bolt safety didn't create a blemish until 92?
Can you point me to something that could back that up?

Turkeestalker, My .307 could very well have been produced in 1989. I bought it brand new like i said in Feb. 1990. So i'm sure it could have been a gun made in 1989. Like i say i have the sales receipt with the date on it, and the amount i payed $272.85. As far as the cross bolt safety, i could be wrong on that. I have only heard they were put on the model 94's in 1992.

No, you're right Joe and I'm wrong.
Apparently I didn't know what I thought I knew which is nothing new....just keep on learning.

Winchester was sold to it's employees in 1981 who called it then USRAC.
They went belly up in 1989, after which FN Herstal purchased the company in 1992.
Apparently FN Herstal is responsible for the wart.

I'm confused enough now that I've got a headache :confused:

No problem Turkeestalker, It's been quit a few years since these guns were in production, and there is a lot of conflicting information out there. Plus my memory isn't what it used to be.;)

Old thread, but here is more info on 94AEs in .375 win. They were introduced in the 1983 catalog, shown in 84, 85 and 86 catalogs ... however, the highest Serial number I have seen on a angle eject 375 win is AE23100 which was a 94AE XTR .375 Win Mark Twain Sesquicentennial 1835-1985 Model. Outside of these 150 commemorative 375s, the highest angle eject 94 375 rifle I have seen was Serial number AE22060, and it was not checkered (that no checkering syncs with the description in the 1985 catalog).

I have recorded 63 serial numbers on AE-prefix 94AE 375s, 307s, and 356s (22 of those are .375 Wins). I have never seen a 94AE 375 without the AE prefix. Also, every AE prefix I have seen had the Monte Carlo stock.

I have recorded another 97 307s and 356s without the AE prefix. The 1986 catalog states that all 94 chamberings were now angle eject ... and I believe this is when they dropped the AE prefix on the 307s and 356s and merged the 307 and 356 serial numbers into the overall 94 non-prefixed serial numbers.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my .307. No safety. Purchased in 198
Looking at that picture, you can clearly see that it has a safety. Since it was made in 1989, I would expect it to.
They were introduced in the 1983 catalog
I was working in a sporting goods store selling guns in 1980-81, and I remember selling them when I was working in the gun department.

Scorch, I was referring strictly to the Winchester Angle Eject. Yes, there were Winchester 94 Big Bore 375s (BB-prefix, non-AE) starting in 1978. The 94AE came out in 1983 and the first AE chamberings were in .307, .356 and .375 win the Model 94AE XTR.

Last edited:
Back