Winchester 94 question

Gak, I have a 94 made in 79. The internals are fine, every bit as good IMHO as a pre 64. It's my understanding the receivers from the period won't take a reblue.

Hawg..that is probably correct....In my experience..my pre-64's have only slight wearing of the finish....The post-64 trapper has some pitting and discoloration....I hunt with both types..so they are used....

congrats on your new purchase :) for what it's worth, $325 is a fair price for a mint condition post 64 Model 94 (most are vastly overpriced on gunbroker.com) . from what I've read, post 64's up to the early 80's used a sort of 'mystery metal' for their receivers and such, which made them prone to pitting and as someone already mentioned, made it difficult to blue. the later angle-eject models went back to using 100% steel forgings which made them a superior model as far as materials go

The post '64s, till roughly 1982-85, used sintered metal frames, a form of casting.
The bare metal wouldn't blue, it had to be plated with iron first & then that iron plating was blued.

The finish never held up well under extended use, as mentioned above.
Re-finishing when the pitting & rust started was a semi-major operation & rarely done.
Denis

model 94

Thank you for the info. I wasnt told he was actually carrying the rifle when he met the younger brothers,he did go over where Jesse and his gang used to hang out and dug up some old cartrigages,(looking for loot)not saying they belong to them but most likely as they werent held up in town at the time. He later became sherrif of some small town.He saw NO action other than drunks.He did do some trading with the indians because the family still have bowls,and some arrowheads,beads and other stuff.Apparently they used to pass through and watered there horses from time to time. I was curious to what you would put on the outside of the gun for protection?? Ive heard transmission fluid type F?? I dont want to mess it up.Value in good condition?

Just a good grade of gun oil periodically.
Some use transmission fluid for a lubricant, I wouldn't use it for an external rubdown.

My oldest 94 is a '51, it gets an occasional rubdown with a very lightly oiled cloth. Gets a lightly oiled going over whenever it's fired as part of the cleaning process.

In 1925 Winchester was still building custom orders to a customer's preference, not just the standard line.
Giving you a realistic value would be impossible without some good photos, there's no way to know based just on what little info you've given.
It could be $500 or $5000, to start with.

Your definition of "good condition" might not jibe with a collector's definition.
Any non-standard features could raise value.
Some alterations to original form (shortened buttstock, shortened magazine, etc.) could devalue it.
A quality factory period deluxe sight could add value.
If you had any photos of the original owner with it, that could affect value.
Any provenance linking it to a researchable lawman, public figure, location, or event could affect value.
An original bill of sale could add value.
The scabbard (depending on what it is) could add value. If it's ever been refinished, or if you have it refinished, value will drop.

And so on.
Denis

I took the 94 out, yesterday, and put 20 rounds thru it. What a fantastic rifle. It feeds without a hitch, nice smooth action, excellent trigger, and the first five rounds I put thru it produced a 2-1/2" group with iron sights at 50 yards. Shooting softball-sized rocks at 75-100 yards, the gun couldn't miss. I should have bought one of these a couple of decades ago. Light, smooth, no recoil to speak of, and shoots so good I hate to put it down.

I had kinda expected to find the rifle to be unexceptional. I figured I'd give it a try, be unimpressed by the thing and then trade it for a Rossi 92 in 45colt, but I just might have to keep this one. I'm used to Marlin leverguns and large-bore cartridges like the 45-70. Boy was I missing out.

All grins in VT
Addison Fats

Back