Winchester 94 question

Addison Fats

Inactive
An aquaintance of mine has a Winchester 94 30-30 he bought sometime before 1983. It is pre-safety, has a hooded front sight, and what I think is an 18" or maybe a 20" barrel. He wants to sell it, and I may want to buy it but I have a question or two first.

The rifle looks almost new, the bluing looks like it was purchased yesterday. The wood is in excellent condition, but I am unfamiliar with 94's. The trigger feels loose to me. On my Marlins the trigger has spring-tension holding it from moving back and forth without finger pressure. On this 94 the trigger can move forward and backward freely whether it's cocked or not. The trigger functions perfectly as far as firing, but the free movement (it will fall forward if you point the gun downward and backward if you point the gun upward) makes me curious. The trigger pull feels perfectly normal, and everthing seems to function perfectly, but the trigger travel seems odd. Is this normal, or is there a spring missing or something like that?

By the way, he is asking $325 for the rifle. He claims he put five rounds thru the gun, and he has two boxes of 1980's vintage ammo with five rounds fired from one, the other untouched, that come with the gun. It looks like he loaded the thing, shot five rounds, and then put the gun in a safe for the next thirty years. I'd appreciate any advice on the trigger thing so I can make a good decision on whether to buy it or not. Does the price sound fair, and is the trigger screwed up? If so, how easy is it to fix.

Thanks
Addison Fats.

94's are a bit of a clickety clackety affair. They last forever and never break but extra tight they are not.

Fats,

Loose triggers are inherent in the design. There is no trigger return spring.

To use: Take up slack until you feel resistance then try for an "open suprise break".

Thanks, guys. I bought the rifle a few minutes ago. It seems to be in even better condition than I thought. I'll have to get some 30-30 dies and work up some loads for the little fella. I normally shoot a Marlin 1895 CB 45-70, so the 94 feels like a toy gun.

Thanks again for the info and advice.
Addison Fats

I just picked up a 1894 this week myself and I noticed the same thing with my rifles trigger. Had me worried at first until I shot it and it fired extremely well. I put 5 shots into the X ring at 25yds that were 1.5" group. Have fun with yours as I know I will with mine.

To me that price is hard to understand, but in todays market is a bargain. I've seen guns in much worse shape sell for $500-$700. Winchesters seem more loose than Marlins, but is part of the design. Overall I've found Marlins to be more consistent in quality. You rarely see a bad one. Winchesters are all over the place and it is impossible to know for sure if you have a bad one or not until you shoot it. I've got a safe full of Marlins and Winchesters that I paid well under $200 for and $350 just seems insane to me. But If I didn't already have plenty, and wanted one that is probably as good as you'll do today.

Levers are the most complex and least reliable of all repeaters.

From a performance perspective there is absolutely nothing a lever does better than other action type. Most of the myths involving lever actions stem from Hollywood special effects and some guys cannot separate myth from reality.

The only reason they are still in use is because some guys never grew up and want to walk around pretending they are John Wayne.

I've got a safe full of Marlins and Winchesters

Hmmmmm...really? U must be a closet JW wannabe....:D

Levers are my favorite rifles. I own more than a dozen. I made those comments based on 40 years of real world experience. It is impossible for some guys to like something and still see it objectively, not for me. I like the guns quite a bit, but the fact is.

Levers are the most complex and least reliable of all repeaters.

From a performance perspective there is absolutely nothing a lever does better than other action type. Most of the myths involving lever actions stem from Hollywood special effects and some guys cannot separate myth from reality.

The only reason they are still in use is because some guys never grew up and want to walk around pretending they are John Wayne.

This is a true and accurate quote of me from another post.

I'm just not afraid to admit I'm a John Wayne fan and why I like levers. Some guys try to make them into something they are not. While I do like them, anything I can do with them I can do better with a bolt gun. Hunting and shooting is not always about using the best, or most efficient tools. My favorite bow is a 50 year old recurve, but it is far from the most efficient.

This is a true and accurate quote of me from another post.

Levers are my favorite rifles. I own more than a dozen.

So..U admit that U never grew up? And U walk around pretending U are ole JW? (chuckle)

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone else, but I love leverguns. I know bolt actions and AR-style semi-autos are typically more accurate, but the tactile sensation of levering rounds into the chamber with the gun still at your shoulder is very visceral and satisfying.

Same thing, at least for me, with a single action revolver. Cocking the hammer stirs something that needs to be stirred occasionally. I carry a Glock 23 daily, and my AR-15 and Ruger M77, but when I head for the woods I grab a Marlin 1895 CB 45-70 and strap a 45colt Blackhawk to my hip.

For me it's like the difference between an automatic and standard transmissions. The automatic is more practical, but slapping the shift lever between gears is a whole lot more engaging and satisfying for me. It makes me feel more involved in the machinery, the overall process of driving. Leverguns do the same for me with regards to shooting. You have to work a little harder for the same results, but it's worth it.

That sounds a lot like I haven't grown up, doesn't it. That's okay, I'm enjoying the ride. Gotta go watch the Duke in El Dorado (for the 48th time). Where'd I put that damn bugle?

winchester 1894 (94?)

I inherited a model 94 30-30. The model number is 974048. I have looked at the Nobels,and the winchester site but cannot find any info(serial numbers) on this gun. Can anyone tell me the year or any additional info on this? I have shot it several times with a 110 grain bullet and wondered if this gun will also shoot a 150 grain as they are much easier to find around here. He rode with this gun when he lived on the great divide, supposedly met the Younger brothers(and a following posse) and saw the last of the free indians, and shot a lot of big mule deer(made boone and crockets with a 31 point) and antelope and well, Id like to do the same. Also value would be? It has the swivel, and even the leather scabbord.Id say the gun is in good condition.Also,would you recomend refinishing this gun? Thank you for any and all comments

Proof House dates it to 1925 but that information is flawed by a year or so. You can shoot 150's in it but whatever you do, do NOT refinish it.

The Younger "gang" was long broken up by the time the Model 1894 Winchester was introduced, unlikely anybody toting a 94 would have run into the Younger brothers or a pursuing posse.

Bob died in prison in 1889. Cole & Jim were serving prison sentences from 1876-1901. Jim committed suicide in 1902. No indication that Cole returned to an outlaw life after his release from prison.

The original owner of your 94 may have done all those things you mention, but even aside from the serial putting it at 1925, the Younger part could not have been with that gun, if that's what family legend says.

Agree with Hawg. DO NOT refinish it. My Winchester Book also shows 1925.

As far as bullet weights go, I can't recall shooting anything as light as 110 through a 94. 150s are fine for deer, I carry 170s in mine for a shade more penetration if needed.
Denis

Back to the OP's --congratulations. While you don't list a serial number, it sounds like it's either one of the last of the "Winchesters" (Olin) or firsts of the new order (USRAC under Olin license) ca 1981. If it is a 1983, it's also the last of the pre angle eject (AE) guns. Either way, Win or USRAC, they had finally started making the guns better in the late 70s after a rough 10 or so year "Post 64" period. Sounds like you've got a fine piece and I bet a keeper. Pics required!

The late 70's guns are internally fine, maybe not as refined as a pre 64 but pretty danged good. That iron plated receiver sucks once the bluing starts to wear off tho.

Hawg Haggen said
" The late 70's guns are internally fine, maybe not as refined as a pre 64 but pretty danged good. That iron plated receiver sucks once the bluing starts to wear off tho."

Part of my point about the very late 70s is that by 78 or 79 Winchester had made improvements in that area, where the metal or treatment was different than the earlier Post 64s. Most I've seen, and the two (79, 80) I have of this late 70s era are darn near (at least superficially and in most ways mechanically) as nice, finally, as my Pre 64s. Not saying bad ones didn't still make it through though, and are you referring to even the "improved" treatment eventually going bad as well--or the earlier Post 64 "plating"? Some internal items such as the lifter quality--another Post 64-cheapened item--had been addressed sometime a little earlier in the (mid?) 70s. Someone on TFL chronicled these improvements in a thread awhile back. If I find it I'll post it.

Edit: I also don't recall exactly, but did USRAC immediately go back to the old forged steel upon their take over in 81-82, even prior to the AEs in 84?

Gak..I believe that USRAC did make some good 94's..but have never seen receivers like those on pre-64 models....I own both types....

Back