Winchester 70 7mm Mag Value/Rarity?

JerryNY

Inactive
Hello, I'm new here and looking for some advice. Basically, I'm looking for a nice, traditional, Walnut and blued steel, bolt action deer/elk rifle. (I just don't like black synthetic.) I've been offered this Winchester Model 70 Magnum in 7mm mag., early 1970's production, push-feed. It seems somewhat costly for an older gun. The bore is very clean, but there are some scratches and dings on the black forend and grip cap though, and a few dings on the stock. The action is nice and smooth. What would you value such a gun at? Are these rare or desirable at all? I know its not a pre-64, its a push-feed. Everything other than the stock is clean. Thanks.

Attachments

• Winchester 70 7mm.jpg
    Winchester 70 7mm.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 222
Same here. Winchester quality during that era was spotty at best. Some good rifles, lots of bad ones. The pushfeed Winchesters are among the most under rated and under valued rifles. A good value, but I'd be looking at 1980's through 2004 production years for the best chances of getting a good rifle. Or, buy one of the new FN produced rifles.

That rifle will bring $500 plus if anybody wants to go to a little effort to sell it.

I have a good friend who hunted with the exact rifle for years. Worked flawlessly.

Certainly nothing rare about it. Its only value is as a shooter, and in that case I'd want to shoot it before laying out any coin. Otherwise, $300 tops.

Easily worth somewhere in the $400 - $500 range. Not rare but quite desirable to anyone who knows a good gun when they see it.

Nice rifle. I'd be thinking $3-400 without a scope and $4-500 with a scope. I'd sure want to shoot it before buying it, as there is no way to tell how many rounds have gone down that 4 decade old rifle. My son is coming by his grandfather's 1973 Model 70 in 30-06. Scoped with a Redfield 3-9x I took it out and as average shooter that I am, I figure I could hold my hits to a 4 bit piece at 100 yards.

The Model 70 Super Grade is a nice looking rifle.

$500 is way too much for this rifle for several reasons. The worst years ever for Winchester quality were 1964-1979. Not every rifle was a lemon, but there were too many. Rifles made 1980 and after were far better with far fewer lemons produced. There are thousands of far better Winchesters out there selling for $300-$350.

I recently bought one of the Stainless Classics for $420 OTD including a $200 scope. Winchesters are my favorite rifles, but I wouldn't buy this one at any price. Rather than take a chance on it, I'd look around for one of the 1980 or newer XTR's, for around $300.

Also, why pay $500 for a 40 year old rifle made during the worst years of Winchester quality when you can buy a brand new rifle for $650. The new rifles are proving to be better than anything Winchester ever made, including the pre-64's.

Well, you may be right I can't say. What I do know is I have a Model 70 .243 built in '71 and it will shoot sub moa all day with factory 100gr Remington Core Lokt. Maybe I just got lucky. Also, Fjestads 17th edition from 1996 puts this model at $350 in 98% condition. I would think the value would be a little more than that 15 years later.

I'm with you Slappy. I have had several of those push feed XTR's and never saw all those QC problems myself.

I sure would like to run in to a truckload of those for $300 so I could flip them.

Most of the myths about the post '64 Model 70 are just that; myths and misconceptions. Here are a few words form Jack O'Conner:
"Actually the post-1964 Model 70 is not a bad rifle in spite of the fact that rifle aficionados have never taken it to their bosoms the way they did its predecessor. It is a stronger action than the pre-1964. The head of the bolt encloses the head of the case. It has a small, neat hook extractor, which is adequate. With this extractor the cartridge is not as surely controlled as it is with the Mauser-type extractor. However, the new model seldom gives feeding problems."

It really doesn't take much reading to realize that the only "bad years" for Model 70's were from 65-68 and even then, they were still a pretty good rifle.

Last edited:
Maybe more than $500. Even some Model 94's will bring that today. Anything with Winchester on it is now at a premium.

-7-

No one will pay $500 for a post-64 Model 70. $300 tops.

Not true, I'd say that rifle would top out around $450 around here for a private sell. Pawn shops locally usually have between $500-600 on them depending on the rifle FWT and XTR bring the most money. Ranger 70 and M670 rifles will bring between $250-300 locally. Plus I've seen several 6.5X55 and .257 Roberts Featherweight push feed rifles bring close to $1000 many times.

Last edited:
It's not rare but a good gun. I bought a mid 80's Win 70 7mm mag XTR PF for $375 with a redfield scope at a local pawn shop last summer. I have to admit it is the best shooting gun I own.

Those push feed model 70 actions are solid actions. I used two for them for 6.5x284 by Mike Bryant and 270 by C. Hammond.

Back