Winchester .38 Spl 158gr LSWCHP +P in Clear Ballistics Gel.

How Hard-lead hollow point bullets

How Hard: The span of hardness that has been recommended to me goes from unalloyed lead to half wheel weights half lead at the hardest. Glen Fryxell has articles on lead hollow points. Hollow Point Mold Service offers mold modifications. I have had several single cavity molds modified there. They have a great website. I have my own hollow points in my 45 ACP carry gun. I'd personally pick a JHP in a factory cartridges over a factory lead hollow point. Just a personal pick nothing more.

Last edited:
Its too bad that this same load is not offered with a lighter weight HP all lead bullet for snubs. Something between 130-140gr loads with more velocity for expansion and less recoil in a snub without going to a jacketed bullet.

But then I am not a believer that an expanded bullet all of a sudden becomes a magic "knock em on their butt" bullet. I look for penetration first and expansion second. If I can have only one it would be penetration.

I look for penetration first and expansion second. If I can have only one it would be penetration.

And this bullet gives you that. IF it opens at snubby velocities, great. If not you have a good bullet weight to carry it deep and a good wound channel caused by the SWC design.

This was the go to bullet in snubbies for a long time before the current “short barreled” JHP loads came around.

And this bullet gives you that. IF it opens at snubby velocities, great. If not you have a good bullet weight to carry it deep and a good wound channel caused by the SWC design.

Yes. And this is why I carry it in my SP-101 with Speer 158gr bullets pre stressed and my own version of "+P" that makes factory +P look like target loads.

Back