Winchester 1892

if I can’t find ammo for it that’s money wasted.

No, its just shooting DELAYED.

The rifle isn't like the milk in your fridge, it doesn't go bad past a certain date...:D

You can spoil it, but if so, that's your fault. Stored properly the rifle will patiently wait as long as it takes for you to get some ammo for it.

Current shortages are just that, and I firmly believe eventually supply will return. We can get toilet paper again, the world has not yet ended...:rolleyes:

When you do get shooting save your empties and get into handloading, eventually primers and other components will return as well.

I don't know if you reload. Maybe you don't.right now.

But as far as worrying your 92 might be hard to feed....You might check Starline for brass.They make it,so, any "Out of stock" is temporary.

Figure the brass will last a long time. I don't know what you will get,but I'd get more than 10 loadings.

Primers....fluctuate. Its not a problem with 45 Colt,or with the 92. In basic terms,no matter what cartridge,primers are large size primers or small size,rifle or pistol. Find a brick of 5000 you are set for a while.

As far as being able to keep shooting,the straight wall pistol cartridges,like 357,44 SPL and Magnum,45 Colt,etc work great with cast bullets. You can buy them 500 at a time pretty easy . Or you get a pot and a mold and cast your own.

My point is with your 92 and a revolver in the same cartridge..a pot,a mold,and even a Lee Hand press reloading setup

If anybody can feed their firearm,you can feed your firearm.

No need to buy it all and learn it all right now, but the 45 Colt is not going to be an ammo dead end.

Can any of you tell me how much recoil there is with an 1892 chambered in .357 magnum? I keep coming back to the 1892 at my local Scheels but have an unnatural fear of heavy recoil. Is it pretty bad on a 6 lb carbine compared to a 30-30 win? I know that felt recoil may be subjective to each person but I figured that maybe it's not as intense as a handgun chambered in .357 mag. Anyone here with an 1892 in .357 magnum that can share their thoughts/opinions?
I have a Rossi 1892 in .357 Mag, 16" bbl.

With "normal" 158gr .357 ammo (e.g. American Eagle), felt recoil for me is considerably less than my 20ga. over/under shotgun, so not bad at all. Even with the hot 180gr Buffalo Bore rounds, I could shoot it all day without getting sore (if I could afford that much Buffalo Bore ammo).

With .38 spc. ammo, felt recoil is more than shooting a .22, but not by a lot. Be aware though that some lever guns won't reliably feed 38's. Mine does, but YMMV.

BTW, I don't have a .45 Colt carbine (yet) but by the numbers, a standard pressure .45 round should have recoil similar to a standard .357 Mag round. The slower muzzle velocity of the heavy .45 round might produce less felt recoil, being more push and less pop, but this is just hazy theory on my part.

Now loading up that .45 carbine with heavy Buffalo Bore ammo would probably get you into 30-30 recoil levels -- maybe more.

Bottom line, I doubt you'd be disappointed with the recoil level of either caliber.

fear of recoil?

In my opinion you need to come to grips with your fear. Recoil is something that can overcome with the right exposure. I would not recommend fireing a hot 30 cal magnum as my first shooting experience. This fear is really limiting your pleasure of shooting.

There are many painful learning curves. After riding your new bike, that you got for Christmas, did your legs hurt or get sore? Do you have an unreasonable fear of bicycles?

That may seem simplistic but the principal remains.
I know that some firearms may have what is to some painful recoil. I have 2 rifles that my 6ft 4in brother refuses to shoot, 300WBY and 340WBY. Yes they are briefly painful.

You should respect the hot and heavy recoiling firearms, but there is no basis for fear. You might need to get out there and start shooting. Not any thing that is notorious for hard recoil. Something in the 308WIN family, maybe.

I hope that you are able to overcome your fear. I'm not sure, that I would be happy in a life where I couldn't test myself against nature, against the terrain and against my grossly overpowered magnum rifles. Heck just shooting the WBY's can be an adventure.

Since you mentioned Scheels, I want to ask, How does Scheels measure up in comparison with the other outdoor type places? I much prefer Scheels over Cabelas. The Scheels in Billings is where I found my last rifle.

Attachments

• Coopcrop.jpg
    Coopcrop.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Regarding Scheels, I can honestly say that their customer service, pricing and product selection are amazing. It’s been years since I’ve been to Cabelas so I don’t want to speak negatively of them as a business, but, I know all of my business will go to Scheels in the future. I reckon I’ve spent at least $2000+ at my local Scheels since July. Above all else, they have great customer service which is the main reason I keep going back.

If you do pull the trigger on that MDL 92, and if you do find that you enjoy shooting it. You should consider reloading your own ammunition.

If you were to decide to reload. You can ignore shortages that might be a nuisance for you now. You can also make ammunition that can't buy in any store. You can shoot as much as you want at a fraction of the price of factory ammo.

When your efforts pay off, in game well taken, or an itty bitty group on a target. You can feel satisfied by your success. or you can blame in on the learning curve, when you can't find paper with your hand loads.

Back to Scheels again. Scheels was where I purchased my last reloading kit. A RCBS Supreme kit was about $300 in 2006. This set includes everything you need to get started except shell holder, dies, and powder, primers and bullets. There are many other things you can pick up later, such as case tumbler, trim die or a case trimmer, ect.

What ever you decide to do save your brass. The only reason I have bought factory ammo, since 1976, was because it was marked down and, or because I wanted the brass. For example I found on occasion, 300WBY 150gr softpoint, which I really had no need of, for 1/2 price. So I bought just to get more Norma brass.

This site is a goldmine of experience for a newcomer. There are gunsmiths and competitive shooters that frequent this site and are more than willing to share their experience with any and all.

Good luck on whatever you decide. and I like your nick.

Last edited:
Back