Winchester 1873 reproduction.

I leave the spring thinning to my cowboy gunsmith.

Wise choice. And, thanks for the responses. They've been helpful.

As far as loading as some have described, the loading gate is comparatively small for the 45 Colt cartridge, but I'll have to practice. Thank goodness for my touch up bluing pen.

But if I can't get the hang of loading without scraping off the faux color case hardening, I'll likely sell it. There are a large number of firearms I've considered selling and upgrading. Some day.

Some day.

Neither Winchester, nor anyone else offered the .45 Colt in their leverguns, UNTIL modern times. The reason usually given is that the gunmakers in the 1870s did not think the .45 Colt rim was "robust" enough and would give problems in a lever gun. The .44-40 actually has a LARGER diameter rim than the .45 Colt, and was the original chambering for the 73 Winchester.

Modern .45 Colt brass has a stronger, thicker rim than the original cases, and does seem to work well enough in lever guns today.

By the specs the .45 Colt LOADED length can be 0.008" longer than the .44-40. This small difference has no effect on loading the rifle. .45 Colt rim is .512", the .44-40 is .525" (max specs).

IF your repro 73 rifle is in spec the small difference in size between the .44-40 and the .45 Colt should not cause any difficulty.

If you are dragging the rim on the receiver, I think its probably something you are doing, not the design of the gun. That being said, its a guess, because I don't know if your REPRODUCTION 1873 rifle is actually made to the same dimensions as the original, or just looks like it is...

One thing I would not do is monkey with the gun. At least not until ALL other possible options failed. And, If you're gonna get springs modified, get REPLACEMENT parts and modify THEM, keeping the factory original parts original. That way, if your modification doesn't work, the gun is easily returned to "normal".

Good Luck.

uberti 1873

I have a uberti '73 in .45 colt and i don't seem to be having any wear on my loading gate. Maybe overtime a little rub mark might start, but that in my opinion would just be honest wear.

I've never had a problem or noticed any additional wear on my '73 Winchester, but then it's an original from 1888 in .44wcf. So maybe the wear is a product of the loading gate spring being too robust combined with a very thin surface finish.

IMG_9597_Fotor-XL.jpg

I have a uberti '73 in .45 colt and i don't seem to be having any wear on my loading gate. Maybe overtime a little rub mark might start, but that in my opinion would just be honest wear.
The OP said the case rim is scratching the RECEIVER behind the loading gate, not the gate.
I would suggest using the bullet nose to push the gate fully open a bunch of times, to break the spring in a little. Make sure the gate is fully opening. Now, when loading, hold the round at a right angle to the receiver, push the front of the gate all the way in, then rotate the round in and forward till it clears the receiver and just drags on the gate.

I've never had a problem or noticed any additional wear on my '73 Winchester, but then it's an original from 1888 in .44wcf. So maybe the wear is a product of the loading gate spring being too robust combined with a very thin surface finish.

highpower3006,

Nice looking original '73.

I would suggest using the bullet nose to push the gate fully open a bunch of times, to break the spring in a little. Make sure the gate is fully opening. Now, when loading, hold the round at a right angle to the receiver, push the front of the gate all the way in, then rotate the round in and forward till it clears the receiver and just drags on the gate.

I'll giver a whirl.

Back