Winchester 1873 reproduction.

FoghornLeghorn

I bought this in 45 Colt.

1873.jpg

Bought as new and unfired and was mostly like that except for some surface scratches.

Loading it is a different story. The 45 Colt cartridges leave unsightly scratches where the case rim drags along the receiver just behind the loading gate.

It's a Miroku Winchester, and it's my understanding that the CCH finish is not true CCH (color case hardened). The finish is actually a pretty fragile "coating."

That said, is there any solution to loading without it looking like some cat got mad?

Or is that just the way it is with Winchester 1873 reproductions?

When I load my 1873's the angle in which I insert the cartridge it only touches the loading gate They do not drag on the side of the receiver.

Nice looking rifle by the way.

Last edited:
Looks nice. Looks like a maple stock. Haven't seen one in maple before. Have one from uberti in 45 colt. Lo:ts of fun!:)

When I load my 1873's the angle in which I insert the cartridge it only touches the loading gate They do not drag on the side of the receiver.

Nice looking rifle by the way.
Exactly. Point the bullet in more, push in and forward with your thumb. The rim should only make contact with the loading gate.

I have two ‘73s, a Uberti in .357 and a Miroku-Winchester in .44-40.

Like most firearms these days they were oversprung. The loading gate is essentially a flat spring attached to the inside of the right side plate. It can be thinned a little to make loading cartridges easier.

Like most firearms these days they were oversprung. The loading gate is essentially a flat spring attached to the inside of the right side plate. It can be thinned a little to make loading cartridges easier.

Can you direct me to a resource/tutorial for this? Because, the loading gate is so small, and the 45 Colt case head so big, and the spring so stiff, it's impossible to load it as has been advised.

I don't see how the BRASS case can scratch the STEEL receiver. Leave smears of brass yes, scratch the steel? don't see how. And the brass cleans off easily..

As mentioned, you should be able to insert rounds without them touching the receiver, at all. And, I'd recommend you use another round, rather than your thumb or fingers to push them all the way in.

Remove the side plate on the side the loading gate is on. Once the side plate is removed you should be able to remove the loading gate and spring. You can carefully grind equal amounts from the side of the spring to lighten it so it will not take as much force to insert a cartridge. If you do not feel confident that you can do this then take it to a gunsmith and let him do it. Otherwise you risk screwing up the spring and then will have to replace it. There should be tutorials on YouTube that will show you how to remove the side plates. Be sure and use correct gunsmith screwdriver so you don't bugger up the screws.

Should have said equal amounts from top and bottom edge of the spring. It should not take much. Remove a little bit and reinstall to see if that corrected the problem. If not remove a little more until it does.

I personally have never had this problem, but I have lightened the main hammer springs on my single action revolvers by grinding equal amounts from the edges of the springs.

Last edited:
Back