Win Model 70 vs. Rem 700

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I saw this mentioned at the top of the thread, I thought I would bring it up. The USMC is currently using Schneider barrels on their M40A1's. They had the best bid for the contract, from what I was told. The new rifle we got circa 18monthes ago has a Schneider on it and it shoots very well so far. My gun has a Hart barrel on it. The US Army uses a Remington barrel and I guess it works for them on their M24. The Army dogs :) I've talked to say that it is about an 800yd rifle, which is certainly nothing to snear at but.... The biggest problem I have with the short action remington is the magizine box, which is constanly getting jammed when loading fast under stress, not just me happens to just about everybody else too. Also rounds seem to find their way into the left side rail and get stuck there. All things that you do not want to have happen when someone is trying kill you. I prefer the winchester, accuracy is just as good as the remington(under field conditions) and I have had better luck in the reliability dept. But to be honest, I would care far less about who made the rifle I'm issued if it were newer than 1968(the vintage of my current rifle) Semper Fi...

Seems to me that Winchester wouldn't put push feeding in their long range, varmint rifles, if they were the inferior design proclaimed herein.

Also, the Winchester trigger is a joke. Ever try to adjust the creep on a Winchester trigger??

I have a Mod 70 Classic Stainless .243 with BOSS. I'd gladly trade it for a Rem. VLS in the same caliber. Any takers??? I might even throw in some $$$ to boot.

As far as African hunting goes, I'd think that taking a stroll downtown, at night, in any S.A. city would present one with a much better idea of a real hunt than shooting zebras, or horses, or anything like that.

[This message has been edited by WalterGAII (edited March 14, 2000).]

can someone please create an new thread here.
maddog.you need to ck out the smith forum.someone over there needs your help.

It sounds from his post as if it one of the pushfeed post '64 mdl 70 (Remington-like) types. He states that he depressed the ejector in the bolt with a drift punch. That is not something you can do with a fixed ejector which is contained in the receiver...

It may be a bit early to get really smug, but I can feel the beginnings of smugness building rapidly. :)

Smugness is mine, sayeth the Dog. :)

Ldol stated in his last post on the subject:
"I should have explained better in my last post, but I was busy. It's a Win. M70 Heavy Varmint with a push feed bolt."

Once again we have a plunger type ejector screwing the proverbial pooch, and at the range no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back